Chapter 1

The person who sits on the throne holds the burden of the whole nation. Not only that person was responsible for himself, but he also had to protect all of his civilians at all costs. Although Lee Gon was a talented ruler of his nation, without an heir, his throne was unstable. He was constantly pressured by his subjects to choose a queen but he had been delaying it since the day he sat on the throne. 

After frequent arguments with the neighboring kingdoms, he had no choice but to choose a queen to strengthen his own. Five princesses from the neighboring kingdoms were sent and one would soon be his wife. Although he didn't want it, as a king, it was his duty.   

Finally, it was the day the chosen girls would be entering the palace. The head court lady Noh was busy preparing everything that was required. She couldn't hide her excitement that the king's harem would finally have an owner. She wanted to see them more than the king did. 

"Have you checked the perimeters thoroughly?" Jo Yeong asked his subordinate who nodded in agreement. Yet he felt that he still had to check everything on his own. He walked around the premises only to run into a stranger who was wandering around the courtyards. The stranger was wearing a hanbok with the symbol of the royal harem. Jo Yeong could guess who that person was.

"May I ask who you are?" he said.

The girl jumped at the sudden voice behind her. She turned around to see a dashing man staring at her. He was holding his earpiece with his right hand. 

"I'm sorry... I think I'm lost," the girl replied softly. She slightly looked away to hide her red cheeks. 

"If you were hoping that you'd magically run into his highness wandering around like this, you can dream on. I will escort you back to your destination," Jo Yeong bluntly stated.

"E-excuse me? I am Seo Yeon, the only princess of Kingdom Shilla! How dare you speak to me like that!" The girl snapped. 

"Your highness, this part of the premise is restricted. Please let me escort you back."

"Tsk! You look like you are nothing but a bodyguard next to the king. You have no idea who you are messing with!" 

"If I have to drag you out of this area, I will do so."

"F-fine. Just show me the way back!" 

***

After escorting back the princess, Jo Yeong headed to the king's main residence. He went straight into the bedroom where Lee Gon was still dressing up to meet the contestants later. 

"I thought you ran away, leaving me with all the women," Lee Gon rolled his eyes as he put on the last piece of cloth. 

"I had an unexpected situation during the security check. If your highness is ready, we can take off now. Court Lady Noh is waiting in the main hall." 

"Everyone, leave the room, except you," Lee Gon ordered while looking at Jo Yeong who was standing in front of him. After everyone left, Lee Gon took one step forward but Jo Yeong immediately backed away a step. Lee Gon sighed.

"Yeong ah-"

"Your highness-"

Both of them said it at the same time.

"Your highness, I will wait for you outside," Jo Yeong was about to leave but suddenly a pair of hands wrapped around his tall body. The hands tightened around him, unwillingly to let him go. 

"Just don't move... stay like this for a moment. Please..." Lee Gon's gentle voice whispered from the back. Jo Yeong's body froze as he could feel every single nerve inside of him electrocuted. His body was too tense he felt like his emotions were going to burst out if he continued in this position any longer. 

After all these years, both of them tried so hard to hide their feelings. At most, they only stared into each other, and words were already exchanged. But today was different. After today, things will no longer be like before. Lee Gon knew it was his last chance. Although he knew there was no going back, he had to cross the line. 

Lee Gon drowned in deep thoughts and was caught off guard when Jo Yeong suddenly turned around and crashed a pair of lips onto him. He was so surprised that he couldn't immediately respond. Soon after, he kissed back and fiercely grabbed Jo Yeong by the neck. He pushed Jo Yeong until the man in front of him was pinned against the wall. 

Their tongues started to fight for dominance until Jo Yeong gave him. Lee Gon was never going to forget how it tasted like. They both broke the kiss to catch some breath. They intensely looked at each other before Lee Gon started stripping off Jo Yeong's coat. He quickly unbuttoned the shirt under and buried his face onto the bare skin. Lee Gon bit on the exposed skin as a moan slipped out of Jo Yeong's lips. Lee Gon was determined to leave a mark. 

They were then interrupted by a sudden knock.

"Your highness, this is Court Lady Noh. The precious guests are waiting. Are you still not ready?" the voice outside the door asked. 

"I'll be right out!" Lee Gon quickly replied. 

The door knock brought their senses back as Jo Yeong immediately pushed Lee Gon away. He buttoned up and put on the coat that was previously on the floor. He then rushed out of the room before Lee Gon could say anything. Court Lady Noh was surprised when the door suddenly opened and Jo Yeong ran out. Soon after, Lee Gon also came out. She wanted to ask what happened but the guests were all waiting so she decided to ask later. 

*****

Finally the awaited first chapter! I wrote the prologue a long time ago and I had been quite busy since and never got around to write this fic! I will be proofreading it later so forgive me if you see any weird sentences or typos! I hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter!