Outnumbered Pt.1.

"Iceman, Quicksilver, Maverick and Stalker, you are required to report to your commander immediately. Take your RIOs and prepare to change into flight gear straight after." The lieutenant's voice is professional and sharp as he addresses the seven of us, quickly turning and walking away once he has delivered his message. In response, Maverick and Merlin groan, Slider resting his head on the table in irritation, food forgotten for now. Rolling my eyes, I slap Pete's arm, gently, to get him moving, grabbing hold of Hawk's uniform and hauling his protesting form up with me.

"Come on, I don't want to get in trouble again." I look at Stalker, who smirks and stands up with me, helping me get the boys to their feet.

"Neither do I, but I'm tired and hungry!" Hawk complains, resignedly getting up, already heading towards the door, running a hand through his messy hair.

"You just ate, and you only got up an hour ago!" Stalker points out, grinning as we follow him, her tone light as always.

"Still." My RIO responds, continuing to grumble the entire way to the office, even as the rest of us talk quietly amongst ourselves, it being early in the morning. Inside the carrier, the air is relatively warm, but my hands are still cold anyway; it's not often we get called out so early, so it must be pretty serious.

As we approach the door to our commander's office, I quickly adjust my uniform, making sure it's neat and smart, knowing I'd get in trouble if it wasn't, standing back against the wall as Merlin raps sharply on the metal, waiting for a response from within. Beside me, Iceman lets out a quick exhale, the pilot just as worried as I am, his fists clenching at his sides. A call from inside signals us to go in, Stalker leading the way, followed by Merlin, Maverick, Hawk, me, Iceman and Slider, all of us lining up as we enter.

"Good morning, aviators." The balding man greets, only just looking up at us as we salute him, a line forming between his eyes as he counts the line, "Where is Jolt?"

A brief look of remembrance flashes across Stalker's face as she struggles to reply, her response cut short by the sound of another knock on the door.

"Come in." The commander calls, a disapproving look crossing his expression as he gazes at us.

Behind us, I hear the familiar sound of the lean blonde stepping in, a brief exhale leaving his lips as he takes in the sight of the rest of us, no doubt irritated that we came without him. Quickly, he goes to stand beside Stalker, shooting her a dirty look as he salutes the commander, briefly apologising for his lateness.

"Alright, now that we're all present, we have a problem." The commander states, looking down at a report on his desk, "A group of migs have flown into range, but they're skirting the boundaries without showing any signs of threat. We need them off our land. It's up to you lot. If they engage, you may do so as well, but if they do not, you are to remain on their tail until they leave."

In unison, we speak an affirmative, saluting once more and turning around, all of us exiting the room without another word. Once outside his office, we immediately relax, dropping our posture as quickly as we put it on, sighs leaving our lips as we all take a moment to think through the mission, knowing it will be a long one. Together, we start walking to the changing rooms, most of  us talking to each other, only Jolt remaining silent, almost as some form of punishment to Stalker for forgetting to get him when we were told to report. As we walk, Maverick slings an arm around my shoulders, pulling my head to him so that he can place a kiss on my cheek.

"What was that for?" I giggle, looking up into his amused eyes.

"What, I can't show affection to my girlfriend?" He protests, pulling away from me in joking manner, shaking his head in mock disbelief.