Chapter Eighteen

The clock on the wall seemed to tick louder than ever before as everyone started to come to terms with Robert's outburst. In all the time I had known him I had never seen him speak in a way that many would consider rude and disrespectful. He had always seemed like the type to keep what he was feeling inside but he had done that for far too long and it had finally taken its toll. No one quite knew how to react to what had happened, but Robert had fled in such a hurry that someone needed to make sure he was alright.

I glanced over at James who appeared to have had the same thought as me and nodded his head. Without saying a word, I stepped away from the piano and through the Ealing's who didn't even try and stop me from going. Everyone was still trying to process just what he had said and what may have caused him to say something so rude to his own family. I brushed past them and stepped out into the hallway before opening the door and walking out into the busy streets of London.

People walked past the house in droves, despite the cold temperature and the dark clouds that loomed overhead the streets were as busy as ever and finding Robert would be a harder task than I first thought. There were very few places he was likely to go inside London, so I headed in the direction of the one I thought to be the most likely; Doctor Ealing's office. It was his home away from home and most likely the only place he felt safe in the current situation.

Without a coat, the cold wind felt almost impossible to stand. It nipped at my cheeks and fingers as I made my way through London towards the office. Most people ignored me as I brushed passed them in the direction of the office, but a few turned and caught sight of the burn on my arm which hadn't been hidden by a coat sleeve or the glove James had made. Although many people no longer cared or even thought of the factory, there were those that still found it an interesting event and would stare at those they knew to have been there. I was one of the few whose identity had become known.

Ten minutes later I reached the office and noticed the door had been left slightly ajar, something Doctor Ealing would never do. I jogged up the steps and pushed the door open, closing it behind me so no one would try and enter whilst I was talking to Robert. A single stream of light travelled through the window above the door, bathing it in the little sunlight that broke through the winter clouds. I stepped from the hall and into the main part of the office.

Robert sat perched on the edge of the chair at the far end of the room. His elbows were pressed into his knees and he hid his head in the palm of his hands. He didn't appear to hear me as I made my way across the room to stand beside the chair.

"I thought you'd come here," I said. He sat up and looked at me.

"There aren't many other places I can go, and I don't get to use my spare key that often."

"I suppose it's better than an ally way. I wouldn't be able to find you otherwise." I perched on the edge of the chair. "That was quite the outburst just now."

"I never should have said any of it."

"Why not?"

"Why do you think? Mother is going to hate me now, especially after telling her I would much rather be living with her own sister than her. She was mad enough at me already after I agreed to keep you company during your three days confinement, this only made things worse.

"What was that thing you said to me last month? The things a person says in the spur of the moment is what they wished they could have said but never did."

"I said that?"

"Yes, when I told you to leave me alone after the second infraction. I thought you were talking nonsense at first, but you were right. Sometimes we say things we had only ever thought in the past but saying them out loud can feel a lot better than keeping them in, trust me. That was the first time I have ever heard you speak out against your mother in such a way and I expect it was long overdue."