First Trial

Phoenix's POV: 

November 6, 9:00 AM
District Court
Courtroom No. 2

The day of the trial is finally here. I feel confident to prove my client is not guilty of this murder. I just hope that Edgeworth will see that too and won't push an unfair guilty verdict...

My thoughts are cut off by the judge pounding his gavel. 

"This court is now in session for the trial of Mr. Luiska Wrema. Are the prosecution and defense ready?"

"The prosecution is ready, Your Honor." Edgeworth answers steadily from across me.

"The defense is ready, Your Honor." I say as soon as Edgeworth finishes with the same confidence. I have a good feeling about today. 

"Very well. The prosecution's opening statement please."

"On November 4th at 6:10 PM, the body of Mr. Robert Godlard was found dead with a single stab wound to the chest by a knife. The autopsy report reveals that he was killed at around 5:30 PM. The same time, the defendant, Mr. Luiska Wrema, had just had a meeting with the man about increasing his supplements, which was refused. In anger, Mr. Luiska stabbed Mr. Godlard and quickly fled the scene. No one else would have been able to have caused this crime and all evidence presented will prove this fact." As brutal as ever.

"I see. The prosecution may call its first witness." The judge nods.

"The prosecution calls Larry Butz to the stand." Larry makes his way up the steps to the podium.

"Please state your name and occupation for the court."

"My name is Larry Butz and I'm a security guard at Shipping Inc."

"Mr. Butz, please tell us what you saw on the day of the murder."

"Well, I saw a man in a shiny suit and top hat enter the office with Mr. Godlard and left later very angry, without his hat. A lady drove him up in a shiny black car and shortly after he had left with my boss, she also left the car and went elsewhere in the office. The sparkly man didn't even notice that she left and drove away when he came back. I tried to find her, but I couldn't. When I went back, I saw that my boss was dead with a stab to the chest, so I called the police, but someone had already called them. It had to have been around 6:20 or so." Larry said, repeating what he told me earlier. 

"Can you tell us the time the defendant left?" Edgeworth asks.

"Uh... no... I just know that it was definitely after 5:40 and he was gone by 6." Larry answers.

"As you can see, the defendant was with the victim in the time frame of the murder and even left behind his hat, with the prosecution presents as evidence." Edgeworth places a sparkly hat that matches Luiska's suit perfectly and has a few bloodstains splattered on it. Hold on...

"Objection! If the hat was splattered with blood, then the defendant should also have blood on his suit." I object.

"He went home and had a good twenty minutes before he was arrested to change into clean clothes, if he arrived at 6:10." Edgeworth explains. Drat.

"That sounds solid to me." The judge says.

"I haven't gotten a chance to do a cross examination yet!" I protest.

"Get on with it then."

I sigh in relief. "So Larry, did you ever see the lady again?"

"No, actually. She just... disappeared into thin air." 

"But, she was in the office at the time of the murder, correct?"

"Yeah."

"So therefore, she could've done it."