chapter 1

"We have landed in Islamabad,Pakistan at local time 3.32AM,please keep your seat belts on and wait for further instructions". Finally, I thought 24 hours of travel does not have the greatest effect on the body,mind or skin for that matter.All I could think about was my bed but of course i wasn't going to get my london apartment bed with views of all of London which I shared with my best friend Ayra who I'd known since nursery. I would definitely miss her the most.

"Ablah!" Aliza said in a muted scream "we're here!".

I sighed. How did this girl have so much energy at 3am? Of course mum gave her that look and she quickly was put in her place-that was the thing about desi parents they were always in control no matter what.I wasn't really mad at her though because she hadn't come home since she was 10(she didn't know why and hopefully won't find out anytime soon).

As soon as I stepped off the plane my body was overwhelmed by the smoldering heat-even in the early hours of the morning the heat was intense.However we were quickly inside the air conditioned airport and security did not bother,or for us at least when you have influence on the inside.

Outside,our driver Ali was waiting for us standing next to a black SUV. He had been working for our family for as long as I could remember.You see my father is a very well respected man and for him to trust Ali to pick us up shows how much he trusts him. "Welcome back home Mrs Gulfraz" he said in a soft respectful manner.

"Please Ali, its Sara no need for the formality"

"Of course madam whatever you say" he said sarcastically.

All three of us climbed inside while Ali loaded the car with our suitcases.

I woke up to the sound of mid-day prayer,that's one I miss about being here,you see my family isn't very religious so having a reminder of it 5 times a day was nice-at least when I'm not jet lagged I thought. Either way this trip wasn't about me of course,it was about Mina or Em as I called her,Em was finally getting married! She met her fiance Abdul at a banquet being hosted by my father. To be honest I think their parents set them up but either way they were happy to be together and let me tell you this wedding was going to be more than lavish of course what else would the rich kids of Islamabad get?

Mira was already in Islamabad, she arrived two weeks ago with her mother,she was staying with and when i was finally awake I got up and went downstairs to find her finalising floral arrangements for the Mehndi party the next day.

"Oh my god Ablah!" she screamed in excitement. "You're awake,I thought I was going to have to come upstairs and shake you out of bed myself" she chuckled.

"Very funny Mira," I said, "and give me a break, Your girl needs her beauty sleep after all".

"Well I'm so happy you came Albah.You know how important it is for you to be with me. You and Aliza are the closest thing I have to sisters."

"Of course Em! I wouldn't miss this for the world!"

My mother emerged from around the corner already dressed in a traditional floral Kurta,her olive skin looked beautiful reminding me how lucky I was to have her DNA.

"I see you're awake Albah" she said while looking me up and down I was still in my sweats from travelling, she rolled her eyes. "Please go change before anyone sees you in such a state"

"Yes mother"

"Let the celebrations begin,'' I say to Em sarcastically when my mother turned the corner and left us alone.

We both giggle simultaneously. I miss just being free and laughing together,without responsibilities. Our lives have changed so much the past couple of years. Em went to Fashion school after High school and began travelling before working for a well known designer where as I moved to London and went through years of medical school.