Just a Dream

Grace's POV:

"Where are we going anyway?" I asked.

Before he could answer, the light changed green and we started moving again. I grabbed onto Ashley again, not quite so tight this time.

We drove on fore about 15 minutes until Ashley tuned into a parking lot. I looked around. We were at a park. Ash got off the bike and helped me off as well, then, he grabbed a cooler off the back of the motorcycle. I took my helmet off and we walked out to the grass. 

"Ash...what are we doing here?" I asked. 

"I like coming here sometimes. To think and stuff. I thought you would enjoy it too so I brought lunch with us." He said.

"Oh." Was all I could say. 

"Everything alright?" He asked, sitting down on the grass. 

I nodded. "I've just...never gone on a picnic before." I said shyly.

I was a bit embarrassed. Everyone goes on picnics...right?

"Really?" Ashley asked. "Well, this is the first time you've rode a motorcycle AND gone on a picnic." He said.

I laughed. "I guess so."

Ashley had brought a sandwich and chips for himself and packed a salad for me. He handed it to me. 

"I brought ranch dressing if you want it." He said. "You don't have to though." 

"Can I have some please?" I asked. 

"Sure!" He grabbed it out of the cooler and handed me the bottle. 

"Thank you." I said. 

It was getting easier for me to eat. The first day was the hardest, but now it was starting to get easier. I was getting more comfortable eating around the guys too. Tonight was Jake's turn to sit with me, then Andy said we'd try it with two or three people. It was getting easier to eat, and I was happy about that...I was gaining weight though. I wasn't happy about that. I wasn't in control anymore. I substituted not eating with cutting. Since I had to eat, cutting helped me take my mind off it. My arms were covered in cuts. If the guys found out...

I was snapped out of my thoughts by Ashley shaking my shoulder. 

"Hey you ok Grace?" He asked.

"Yeah. I'm fine. I was just thinking." I said, taking a bite of salad.

"Wanna talk about it?" Ash asked me.

I shook my head no and took another bite. We finished lunch without much more conversation and laid down on the grass, looking at the sky. Our heads were next to each other and we layed in opposite directions, just looking up. I began to think again. 

'I like being with Ashley. He makes me feel safe. I've rarely felt that way before. I think I'm starting to fall in love with him.' Then my thoughts turned. 'You can't develop feelings for him.' A voice deep in my mind told me. 'He wouldn't love your back. He chases other girls. Plus, he's 7 years older than you. Andy wouldn't like that either. And anyway, you're gaining weight and getting heavier. Why would he like you? What if he saw your scars? What would he think of you then?'

Again I was snapped out of my thoughts by Ashley, this time looking down at me and saying my name.

"Grace. Grace." I smiled up at him.

"Sorry." I said. "Zoning out again."

"Are you sure nothing's wrong?" He asked. "I'm here if you want to talk."

"I know." I said, sitting up. 

"It's getting a bit late." Ashley said. "What do you say we head back?" 

"Ok." I answered. 

We got up and rode back home on Ash's motorcycle. It was less scary this time since I had done it before. When we got back home, I was greeted at the door by Andy pulling me into a tight hug. 

"Thank you for not getting hurt." He said.

I laughed at him and wiggled out of his grasp. "Sure." I said.

The rest of the evening wasn't very exciting. I ate dinner with Jake tonight and when we were done, played video games with Jinxx and Cc. I won most of the rounds...not to brag or anything!

I went upstairs, showered, and came back down to say goodnight to all the guys. 

I climbed into bed, exhausted by today's events. 

"Grace! What are those?!" Andy yelled at me. I had forgot my bracelets and came downstairs in a short-sleeve shirt. He had seen my scars. 

"We can't have a kid that cuts!" Ashley yelled at Andy.

"What are we supposed to do?" Jinxx asked.

"We can't keep her." Jake said. "We have to bring her back." 

"Go pack your bags Grace." Andy said. "Now!"

I ran upstairs, crying. I could barely see through my tears as I packed my bags. I knew this was too good to be true. They were going to bring me back just like the rest of my families. 

An hour later, I stood and watched their van drive away from the home. 

I bolted upright in bed. My face was wet with tears. 

'Just a dream. Just a dream.' I told myself. 'It's not real.'

I tried to go back to sleep but couldn't. I turned on my lamp and pulled my box of blades from under my bed. This always helped me when I couldn't sleep. I made a few cuts and went to the bathroom to clean them up. 

When I was done, I started back to my room. I stopped halfway down the hallway. I didn't want to be alone. I walked to Andy's room and opened the door. 

"Andy?" I whispered through the crack. "Andy!" I whispered louder this time.

No answer. He was asleep. I took this as an invitation to come in. I walked over to his bed and poked him in the back. 

"Andy." I whispered again.

This time he responded. "Hmmmmm." 

"Can I sleep in here?" I asked quietly.

My question was answered by Andy rolling over and lifting up the blanket. I climbed in bed next to him. He grabbed me in his arms.

"You ok?" He mumbled, still half asleep.

"Yeah. Just a nightmare." I said, snuggling into his chest. He never slept with a shirt on.

"You want to talk about it?" He asked.

"No." I shook my head. 

"Goodnight then Grace." He said. He kissed the top of my head and tightened his hug.

"Goodnight." I said.

A couple minutes later, his breathing slowed and I could tell he was asleep. Not long after, I joined him.