Chapter Twenty-Eight

The hardest work comes after--the reconstruction of the country. It’s a near impossible job convincing witches and wolves who killed each other in the dirtiest ways to lay down their arms and reconcile. It'll take many more years, but I have Nia and Iris to help me. What would I have ever done without them?

But the primary structuring of the new rules is almost at its end. What happens to my life after that? I’ve agreed to sit back and become the droll Luna. I’ll hate every minute of it, but it’s a mild price for peace. 

At least, that’s what I tell myself.

The door to my office swings open and my eyes drop to Andreas being guided across the floor. “He’s eight months old,” I say. “What are you doing?”

“He’s cruising. I was walking well on my own by one year.” I shake my head and walk around the desk to take him from Jonah. If I had to say one positive thing about him, it would be that he’s a silly fool for this baby. Three months and they’re joined at the hip. You’d think that he was the one who carried him for nine months, not me. 

“Did you miss me,” I coo, sitting back. “Did you?” Andreas smiles wide, revealing a descended fang tooth. “Is it normal, that he’s teething fangs?”

“He’s just like me.” Jonah says, running his hand through his hair. “Look, I came in here to ask you a question.” As per our agreement, we mostly stay out of each other’s hair, minus a small blip when my heat came around. I tried to keep us professional and seperate but I woke up to see the mangled mess he made of my door and found him sleeping beside me anyway.

Jonah stares down at his feet, missing the puffed up chest and boldness I usually expect from him. 

“About our shoes?” I ask, looking down at the real leather. “I mean they’re-”

His husky laugh sends a tingle through me. “No, I mean.” He sighs. “This is what I should’ve done in high school. I should’ve said, hey Imani, I saw you in English class and I think you’re beautiful. What do you think about a movie and dinner?”

It elicits goosebumps all over my skin. “We can't look at the past-”

“I’m doing it right now. I’m doing it how you deserved it, all these years.” He sticks his hands into his pockets, looking a little like the high school boy who showed up on my front door step to bring a casserole. “So, what do you say? Can I take you out.”

I bite the inside of my cheek, fighting a smile. “I don’t know. I’d have to think about the babysitter….I’m not a high school girl anymore.” I shake my head, breaking into a laugh. “I’m sorry, this is stupid...I can’t.”

He frowns. “I’m trying. And I’m willing to keep trying as long as you need me too, if you’ll promise to try with me.” I stare at him for a long time. He’s earnest about this? We’re doing it my way? With dates and long conversations about futures and books by the fire? 

“Alright,” I say, testing the word out. “Friday at eight o’clock? But don’t expect me to crawl into bed with you afterward.” I tilt my head to the side, casting a playful smile. I hope to god I’m doing this right. “I’m not that kind of girl.”

His grin is absolutely devillish. “Let’s see if I get lucky. See you Friday at eight.”

He leaves and it returns to me that I’m a mother with an eight month year old baby. Yet I’m feeling butterflies twist in my stomach like I’m a high school girl again, dancing in someone’s living room while sipping cheap beer from a red solo cup. I stare Andreas in the face. “What do you think? Should I give your dad a chance?”