Chapter Thirty-One

Imani's POV

I open my eyes feeling sore but stable. On the nightstand, there's fresh food and rare steak. When I was 'human,' I would've found the flood inside disgusting. But it's nourishing now. I stand and walk around the room, flexing my stiff legs. I hear the stir of movement.

"Get back here, we're just getting started."

"It's been two nights."

"Exactly." Despite his fervor, I ease into the armchair next to the window, feeling like a snappable piece of glass.

"I've come to a decision. I don't want to wallow in my own misery anymore. I'm going back to school." I brace myself for the reaction. Will it be no? Surely. I'll have to fight for it. Maybe cast out a few threats, assert my power-

"Okay." I look up and meet his lazy gaze. "So can we cuddle now?"

"I don't trust your current definition of cuddling" His grin is sly and it sends a tingle shooting through my toes. With his hands tucked behind his head, he looks like a Greek statue, half-hidden between the sheets. "It means I'll be busy. I'll take care of Andreas of course, but there'll be a lot of long nights for me. But many more for you."

"I'm willing." He yawns. "I was going to suggest it too. I thought maybe, you might want to venture into public health."

I raised an eyebrow. "Why that?"

He shrugs. "I need a minister of health. I also need an advocate of the rights of humans in this court. As you know, they irritate me. But you--for some strange reasons--love them."

"They're my childhood friends. There are a lot of good people out there."

"Which is why I can't hand the job off to any wolf. They're as clueless and cold as I am. Now can you please get back here. I'm getting cold, Imani."

I ignore his plea and purse my lips. Public health is a good path, I always figured I'd go back and get a masters after my bachelors. I have a swift nod. "No, you can't be trusted to enforce human welfare. I'll do it."

"And there's this too." He tossed me a vial full of dark, purple liquid. The first time I used one of these, it was a trick, but the one he gave me last time was genuine. I stare at the liquid. "Well?"

"What if we...do you...how many pups do you want?"

His voice has a thicker, huskier quality to it. "Eight."

My hand tightens around the bottle and I almost stop considering anything else altogether. "Eight?  You were only two, you and your sister."

"And we were outside the norm. I think it's beautiful. A small pack, friends from birth..."

"I would set a cap on five. But even that's a lot."

"But we agree we want more than one."

I stare at the bottle. "Yes, we agree." I can only get pregnant in heat. I don't want Andreas to be much older than his younger siblings. I want him to have a playmate, a friend. I think of Nia and Iris, constantly bickering, but they have each others' backs to the very end. "Are you ready?"

"Always," he declares, with so much confidence it made me laugh.

"Of course you are. The better question is am I ready..." I shake the bottle. He's trying to keep his emotions at bay, but it isn't working. Not when he feels so much excitement. I set the bottle on the table and stand up. "I guess it's there. If I change my mind in the next six days."