Twenty-Four

"Last call!" I yelled into crowd.

Stas and I made the last round of drinks and cashed everyone out as the crowd thinned. I had been walking on freaking sunshine the last few days since we had gotten back from the camping trip. The trip made me feel normal, like a regular girl in her twenties, taking a trip with the guy she loved. I don't feel normal, ever,there's always something in the back of my mind reminding me about how much I don't deserve Chris.

"That was a fun night," Stas smiled as she took a seat at the bar.

"It was a normal night," I laughed.

"But it was fun," Stas laughed.

When I was done counting down the registers, I took a seat next to Stas and we counted our tips.

"How'd you do?" Stas asked, "anything like loverboy's birthday party?"

"No," I glared at Stas, "it's not like everyone is dying to give me a couple thousand dollars."

"Well you are sleeping with loverboy," Stas laughed.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked.

"You must be great," Stas joked, "but I'm out of here. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Laters baby," I laughed.

I finished up closing before I grabbed my stuff and said goodnight to Brian. I left through the employee door like I do every night and used the remote on my keys to unlock my car as I walked up.

"Hi Lena, long time no see," the voice from my nightmares echoed in my ears.

I clenched my jaw and turned around to be faced with him. He looked exactly the same as I remembered him. As I feared him. Before I could punch him or run or shove my key in his throat, he reached up and wrapped his fingers around my neck.

"You will never get away again," James spat in face.

He pressed his body to mine, shoving his knee between my thighs. He slammed my head back into my car window, making the glass shatter around me.

"So glad to see your scar is still here," James spat as his fingers tightened around my neck.

I gasped, trying to get some air into my lungs, but that wasn't going to happen. I reached for my pepper spray on the keychain in my hand but fumbling to take off the safety made me drop my keys. Using all of my strength, I forced my knee up into his groin. His hand loosened around my neck, giving me the chance to make a move to get away. I grabbed his hand, bending it backwards behind his back, snapping his wrist. This is my chance.

"Not so fast, bitch," James spat as he grabbed onto my ankle and pulled me down to the ground, making me slam my face into the pavement.

"Get off of me!" I yelled, kicking him in the face and using my moment of freedom to sprint back to the door of The Codename.

I slammed the door shut behind me and leaned against it, terrified that he'd try to come in here.

"Nat, oh my god, are you okay?" Brian asked once he walked into the back room.

"No, call the police, now. James is outside," I explained.

Realization made the color drain from Brian's face. As he was on the phone, reporting the situation for me, he handed me his keys so I could lock the employee door. With the door locked, I fell to the floor, hugging my knees to my chest and started to drown in a puddle of tears.

"It's okay Nat, it's going to be okay," Brian comforted me as I cried.

We didn't move. Brian didn't try to make me talk or ask me questions, he just let me cry until there was a knock on the employee door. I shuddered, panicking to get away from the door. Brian unlocked and opened the door cautiously, relief washing over his face when he saw the police.