Twenty-Five

"What's the matter, Natalina?" Chris asked.

I stared at my phone for a few seconds, trying to understand what I had just been told.

"They found James," I whispered, "I have to go down to the police station."

"Are you okay?" Chris asked.

"I don't know," I replied honestly, "I just wish I had never met him. The last two months of knowing you, have been the best two months of my life, and then hurricane James comes in and tries to ruin it."

"He can't ruin anything," Chris assured me, "not unless you plan to date him again."

"I'd rather have to eat my own fingers," I glared.

"Gross," Chris laughed, "then we have nothing to worry about. Everything is going to be okay."

"I know, it's just..." I sighed, "you've said it yourself, I'm an in control person and I enjoy being vulnerable with you but James takes away my control. That's why I have such a big issue with control."

"He can't take anything from you, not anymore," Chris assured.

"I just have to keep reminding myself," I sighed.

"I will remind you as often as you need," Chris smiled placing a kiss against my forehead, "and you are enough," he kissed my nose, "and you can be loved," he kissed my lips.

"I don't deserve you," I sighed happily as I rested my head against his shoulder.

"No, it's me who doesn't deserve you," Chris smiled.

He grabbed my hand and together we left, going to the police station. There was no way Chris was going to let me do this alone. I would be lying if I said I didn't love him for it. I don't think I would have gotten through this without him. Not even two months since I met him and I couldn't live without him. I was being selfish, and as long as he continued to be selfish with me, everything could actually end up being okay.

"Can I help you?" the officer at the front desk asked.

"I got a call from Officer Andrews, he asked me to come in to speak with him," I explained.

The officer led us back to the desk that belonged to Officer Andrews. She told us we could take a seat and wait for him. While we waited, my leg bounced, unable to steady. My nerves and panic were at an all-time high, the only comfort I had being Chris' hand resting on my knee, rubbing small circles into my skin.

"You are enough, you can be loved, you are safe," Chris whispered to me.

I nodded, listening carefully to his words. I feel bad, knowing that he would probably have to tell me those words forever, if he even wanted to stay that long.

"Miss Black," Officer Andrews smiled as he sat at his desk, "thank you for coming in. We have gathered quite a bit of information about Mr. Higgins since we picked him up. I have to ask, would you be comfortable stepping into an interrogation room to speak with him?"

"Speak with him?" I repeated, "why?"

"We have been unable to get him to admit what his plans were," Officer Andrews sighed, "hehad been following you, Miss Black. We found pictures and videos that he hadtaken of you without your knowledge. At home, at work, at the store. He hadbeen leaving comments on your social media posts under a new username. We can'tget him to tell us what he planned to do once he caught you."

"Unknownuser," I mumbled, "what do you want me to do?"

"Natalina, you are not getting into a room with him," Chris protested, "he used your head as a battering ram."