Chapter 2: Kris...?

You drove down the long road. You didn't realise how far Susie's home was, but thankfully there was a bus that picked up workers from Home Town that worked in the city. After Susie moved, everything was a little bit different. You would only see her at school.

Of course you guys were still close, and you both loved eachother very much, but you wished that it could go back to old times. When everyone was home and you all had sleepovers and talked about life, death and the stars.

Your sister, Moon, was leaving shortly for a new job opportunity when she finishes college. She was filling out a scholarship, and she was preparing to study towards astronomical science. You laughed to yourself. What a job. Moon? astronomer? You still joke to her about how she could basically "study herself". She would laugh and say "I'm a very interesting object."

You get to the house, the lights are all out. Maybe everybody was asleep, but it was only a little bit after 8pm, it was a little too early to sleep. Especially for Susie, who loves to do allnighters. You didn't want to give up so easy because you drove all the way to her house already but you didn't want to be rude and wake them up.

The darkness was starting to take over the sky as the sun said it's goodbye for now. Susie's house was small, with a garage and a front porch. It was a house that had a long drive way from the road, and it was surrounded by countryside. You could see a lone horse eating the hay that was strewn across the paddock to the right of the home. You smile.

You get out of your sisters car and lock it, even though you knew that nobody could really steal it. The home loomed above you. You swallowed your fear and climbed up the steps. The wood creaked underneath your feet. You clutched your chest, feeling a little chilly.

You knock on the door. A shallow, resounding sound. You hear nothing. All of a sudden, it opens on its own. You can't see anything inside.

You've been to Susies house before, and what you saw wasn't the familiar
sight that you were expecting.  It was just pure darkness, that enveloped you and all the things around it. You were terrified, but if Susie wasn't here them where is she? Is she in there?

"Y/N."

You turn around frantically, nearly falling on your knees, the person catches you. That familiar grip and signature sweater. You know him all too well.

"Kris? What the hell are you doing here?"

He straightened his back and shrugged. You look at him a little longer, trying to reveal his motives. The moon was now in the sky, making it's way across. Gifting your surroundings with its light.

"I came to visit Susie as well." He said simply. You furrowed your eyebrows.

"Kris I thought you were at college? Can you just up and leave like that all the time?" Kris shrugged again, this time not knowing what to say. He stood there thinking for a short moment, trying to conjure up a believable excuse.

"Okay I'll be honest. I felt a really bad feeling about Susie so I asked for a mid-term home study so I could see if Susie was okay. Also, I wanted to see you guys." He scratched the back of his head, not knowing what to say.

"Ah, I see. Well, what do you make out of that door? It's so dark in there, i can't even see the house inside, and i don't want to walk in because trespassing or something." You looked back up to the home, the moonlight making every detail gloomy. Whatever the moonlight touched, you could see in very uncomfortable detail. The shadows sharpening up the home to make it look all the more uninviting. Kris pulled your hand back a little.

"Don't worry about me, Kris. I'll be fine." You laugh. His expression stays the same.

"If anything happens to you and I don't do anything about it, your sister will never forgive me." You smile. He still thinks about her, huh?

"Well...maybe we should go in together." You propose.

"That's a good idea. But, I'm not going in there with no form of light." He grabs his cellphone and turns on the flashlight.

"Isn't that a waste of battery?" You say.

"Hey, it's dark. I would much rather suffer with a flat phone then to be in the darkness of an unfamiliar home." You roll your eyes. "Kris, if your phone goes flat in the house, you'll have a flat phone AND you'll be in the darkness of a familiar home." "Oh..."

You guys walk up to the house, the wind sweeping in, making you shudder, even though you knew that it wasn't the cold. The home looked desolate, as if it was asking for your help. The wall called for warmth and the wooden floors creaked in pain.

"Did....Susie and her family move out?" You say, taking in the empty home. The phone flashlight was admittedly making everything more spooky, but you were thankful for the light for being there nonetheless.

"No, i called Susie a couple of hours ago and she said that she was tending to her horse. The horse is still here. She was here earlier today." Kris' eyes illuminated in the dark, not menacingly, but for some reason you could only see those familiar red eyes at night, where nobody is around.

Man, no wonder Moon likes this psycho.

You looked onward. The sitting room was lit up by the moonlight streaming in from the big living room windows. You just wanted Susie to be here. Where is she? Where is anyone.

"Kris, I feel entirely helpless right now." You say, your heart starting to ache. Everything was so unfamiliar and weird. You wanted to understand what's going on. Where is Susie? Where is her family? Why is the house empty? Why didn't she call you?

"Y/N." Kris grabs your wrist, his voice sounded worried. You look at him. "what?"

"there's something you need to see." Kris says, tears forming in his eyes.