Chapter 2

9th Grade

I examined myself in the mirror.
"Damn I look good" I had on a white off-the shoulder top, ripped jeans, and my high top black vans. I applied some lipgloss and messed with my braids a little before I got the perfect "cute without trying" look. It was my first day of high school and I wanted to make sure I looked good but not like I was trying too hard.

"Taryn you better be ready! I still gotta get my pictures." My mom yelled up the stairs.

"Yes Ma, I'm coming." I headed down the stairs.

"Aww look at my baby growing up! You look so cute!"

"Thanks Ma." I smiled

"Come stand by the door so I can get my pics."
I went by the door as she started snapping away. I knew none of them would turn out good no matter how hard I tried so I just did some simple poses.

"Come on ma, I gotta go to school." I whined. She had been going on for minutes now.

"Fine" she sighed. "Let me just post these on Facebook." I shook my head.

I grabbed my book bag and a snack, and headed out the door.
I pray my first day will go as good as it has in my imagination.
———

I was headed to Spanish 3, my last class of the day. My day was going amazing. I had seen all my friends and met some cute guys. I was living my best life.
I walked into my 6th period wheezing hard as hell. This class is far from my last one. I tried to compose myself before walking in front of everyone, but damn I was seriously out of shape.
As I headed to the last row in the class I was met with an all too familiar and unmissable face. I mentally cringed on the inside.

"Hey Taryn!" I smiled.

"Hi Kiya." I sat a couple seats away from her.
Our conversation dissipated after that when another girl, that didn't like me, came in. She sat beside Kiya and they conversed for a few seconds before she realized something and got up and left.

'Her dumb ass was probably in the wrong class' I thought to myself and chuckled.

"So what class did you have before this?"
I turned, realizing that Kiya was talking to me.

"Intro to business technology. You?"

"I had AP Bio. You like it in high school so far?"
I realized that we were both raising our voices to talk to each other and we both had an empty seat next to us.

"I mean it's only been one day," I giggled "but yeah it's cool so far, better than middle school." I looked around again and mentally prepared myself for what I was about to say next.
"Is anyone sitting there?" I pointed to the seat next to her.

"No. Not at all." She smiled and moved her stuff over. I grabbed my bag and headed over to that seat. I had vowed to myself that I was gonna be more open this year, so why not start with one of the people I despise the most.

"You look really cute by the way." She looked me up and down.

"Thank you! So do you." I smiled. Kiya had complimented me a couple times before, but now that I didn't hate her as much, it actually meant something.

——-

9th grade continued on like this: Us conversing, complimenting, and complaining about everything.

One day, I remember us complaining about barely getting any sleep. While she may not remember it, I do. It was the first time she lied to me.

"I wake up at six thirty everyday!" Kiya complained to me.

"Girl that's nothing. I wake up four forty-five every morning." I rolled my eyes.

She looked at me in shock. "Why in the hell do you do that?"

"My sister goes to work every morning at 6:00, but we have to leave my house at 5:30. And my mom can't come back to the house and pick me up or I'll be late. So that gives me like an hour to get ready" I shrugged

"Why don't you take the bus?"

"I'm not zoned for this school, so no buses come near my house." I shrugged.

"Do you atleast sleep in the car?"

"Nope. Once I'm up, I'm up for real."

"Damn, couldn't be me. I'd just be late everyday." She laughed and shrugged.
I laughed with her.

"You say that now , but when they start threatening you with Saturday school, you gone be singing a different song." We laughed.

"Ugh!" She groaned "I'm so tired. I need some coffee." She put her head down on the desk.

"Mm I don't like coffee." I shrugged.

"Me either. I don't know why I just said that." She smiled and looked at me. I just shrugged again. I didnt know if she was lying about liking coffee or not liking coffee. Either way she was on thin ice.

I continued as if nothing happened. She started looking through pictures on her phone. I glanced over and saw one that she looked good in.

"That one's really cute." I went back to scrolling on my phone.

"Really? You think so?" She looked over at me.

"Yeah the light is really hitting you and your outfit is cute." I nodded. Whether I liked someone or not, if they looked cute I was gonna tell them.

She gave me a bright smile. "Thanks. You just inspired me to post this on Instagram."

"No problem. Let me know what the comments say." I didn't have an Instagram, and she already knew that since she asked for it multiple times.

"I really wish you would live in the 21st century and get an Instagram." She rolled her eyes. I laughed at her pettiness.

"For what? I look cute in real life. Plus I have a Snapchat." I said in duh tone.

"Yeah but what about the people that don't see you in person? What if someone wants to look at you whenever they want to? And snapchats disappear." She rolled her eyes again.

"First of all that sounded kind of creepy." I giggled. "If they don't see me oh well they'll be okay." I shrugged "And you're the only person that really bugs me about it and you see me in real life!"

"Fine whatever. Just let me know when you get an Instagram" I sighed. There was no point with arguing with someone who's use to getting their way. This was a lesson I continued to learn with Kiya Moreson through the years.