"Note cards" on Ancient Greece and Rome

Mistress Avarie- This is just some of my information for my previous project I did on Ancient Greece and Rome...anyone can use it, just message or comment or vote first? Like, I dont want my stuffs to go to waste :P 

Geography: Greece is a small country that is located below Albania, Macedonia, and Bulgaria. It also includes multiple islands that it has claimed. Today’s Greece is stuck in its borders but back in Ancient Greece it expanded, spreading far and wide. At one time, it hit the three countries of Italy, France, and Spain, also reaching the Mediterranean Sea.

History: The polis of Athens was 2,500 square kilometers of territory. The few other polis’s were about 250 square kilometers.

The slaves were often bought from traders that came from around the world, who came to sell and return with more money. After the Free People bought the Slaves, they were turned into house servants or laborers, the people that basically built everything. As the Greek Society went on, free people were split into two groups; Citizens and Metics.

Citizens: They were the people

that were born to Athenian parents, the people that had the right to take part

in the government.

Metics: A Metic is somebody that originated from foreign

lands and moved to Greece to either start working or take up a practice which

was basically the same thing. They also had to pay taxes while the Citizens did

not, showing that they were beneath them. The Metics could not reach the status

of citizenship, so they could not own land, a house, or speak in court.

Religion: The Greek Orthodox Church in Greece is a rich religion characterized by festivals and Saints days throughout the year. Food plays a key role in Greek society particularly in respect of their Orthodox religion with fasting and feasting throughout the religious calendar in Greece.

There is twelve main gods that the greeks worshipped; Zeus, Hades, Poseidon, Aphrodite, Apollo, Athena; Goddess of Athens, Demeter, Hera, Hermes, Hestia, Hephaestus, Poseidon, Artemis and Ares.

Gods were often mistaken as humans; they also occasionally assumed an animal body. Another interesting fact was that each God assumed and represented a different aspect and function of Greek life. The Greeks used the Gods to explain the occurrence of things, the things that they couldn’t understand through lack of scientific proof. For example they thought that the god Apollo controlled the rising and setting of the sun and created great myths about such events.

Farming: Grapes were what many of the farms were made out of, wine being very popular. Olives was another big thing, they were either handpicked or knocked from the trees with wooden poles. The Ancient Greeks used Olives for many things, mostly cooking and beauty. That’s where we get the form of Olive Oil. It was also a criminal offense if you uprooted an Olive tree, seeing as they were sacred to the goddess Athena.

Government:In 507 BC The Athenian leader (Clis-the-ness)introduced a system that he called demokratia, or “rule by the people.” Even though this Athenian democracy would survive for only two centuries, (Clis-the-ness’) invention was one of ancient Greece’s best contributions to the modern world.

Athenian Democracy was made up of three institutions. The first was called Ekklesia, or known of the Assembly. Anyone of 40,000 men could attend the meetings of the Assembly. The Assembly was held at most 40 times a year on the hillside auditorium called the Pnyx. but only about 5000 men attended the Assembly, the rest were either in the army or at home working to support their families.