Part 11

Once she got out the dress, she ran towards the port finding me sitting on the boat.

"Alright." I stood up and turned up the engine. I untied the rope of the boat and assisted her.

She went directly to the driver side and stepped on the gas.

"Woah! Jhoana!" I shouted to fight the roaring engine. "Hey, hey hey." I hold onto the seat for me not to fall. "What is going on?!"

"I just needed to get away from everybody!" She shouted back.

"What is wrong?!" I asked.

"Nothing, just stop talking."  She drove the boat as fast and as far as she could and 5 minutes later we were out on the sight from the port.

"You mind telling me what is happening now?!" I asked but she ignored me. "Jhoana?!"

"I forgot, okay?!"

"What? You forgot to shave?! What?!" I asked.

"I forgot how it feels to have a family!!" She kept driving. "I've been on my own since I was 16 and I forgot how it feels like having people love you and make you breakfast and-and say 'hey we would love you to be here on holidays' and give you necklaces and you have all that there and you have a Jia and I'm just screwing it up."

"You are not screwing it up, I agreed to this! You were there, remember?!"

"Your family loves you, do you know that?!"

"I know that! Yes!"

"And you are still willing to put them through this?!"

"They are not going to find out!"

"How do you know that they won't find out?!"

"Because you said it yourself!"

"But how when your mother found out and your lola..." She let go of the steering wheel and I immediately grabbed it. She's having a panic attack.

"Whoa!"

In a one suave move we exchanged seat. She was on the back sitting on the edge still talking about them finding out.

"Your lola will going to have a heart attack!"

"No!" I said and looked behind her. When I looked back front to drive there was a buoy on our way.

A buoy (pronounced boo-iih) is an anchored float serving as a navigation mark, to show reefs or other hazards.

It looks something like this.

"Whoa, hold on." I drifted the boat to the hard left to avoid it.

"Whoa! Okay. I don't think that hijacking a boat is a proper way to express your frustration. Now.. Oh now you just shut up? Jhoana? Jhoana?!" I looked behind to see a an empty seat and no Jhoana. I looked far more behind to see a hand waving at me.

"Jhoana?!"

"Bea!"

She must have fell when I avoided the buoy.

"Jhoana!"

"Bea! I don't know how to swim!"

I immediately turned the boat around to rescue her. "To the buoy!" I shouted and pointed at the metal floating.

"What?!" She said.

"Swim to the buoy!"

She tried to swam towards it, trying hard. She reached it and hold onto it.

I parked the boat near her and put it to idle. "Come on, reach my hand." I said. When she didn't comply, I shouted at her. "Jhoana!"

She looked at my hand and hesitantly reached for it.

"Come on I got you. I got you." I said as I grabbed her and pulled her up to the boat. I put her arms around my shoulder and hooked my arm under her knees to carry her inside the boat.

"What? Now you want to go for a swim?!" I get the extra towel on the boat and wrapped around her. Alaskan water is not a joke people. It is freezing cold!

She was shivering so I wrapped my jacket around her. "You turned the boat and made me fall, jackass."

"You don't release a steering wheel, idiot!" I hugged her and rubbed her shivering shoulder for extra heat.

"Sorry."

"Come on, let's get you warm." I tighten my hug at her and stayed like that until she stopped shivering.

"Sorry."

"It's okay. It's okay." We were in the middle of nowhere and I was hugging her for warmth. She wiggled slightly to looked at me and I looked at her, before hugging her again for warmth.

--

We drove back to the house finding my dad on standing in front of the house.

"I want to talk to both of you." He said firmly and walked towards the barn. "You're mother is never to hear about any of this." We followed suit finding a familiar guy standing inside it.

"Mr. Gilbertson." Jhoana said.

"Told you I had to check up on you."

I looked at my dad. "What did you do?!"

"I got a phone call from him who told me that if you were lying, and he strongly believes that you are, he would send you to prison. So I flew him up here."

"Dad..." I looked at him, angrily.

"Luckily for you, your father negotiated a deal on your behalf. Now this offer is gonna last for 20 seconds so listen carefully. You're going to make a statement, admitting this marriage is a joke or you are going to the prison. You tell the truth, you're off the hook and she.." She looked at Jhoana. "Is gonna go back to the Philippines."

"Accept the deal." My dad said.

"No." I replied.

"Don't be stupid." He said.

I looked at Mr. Gilbertson and spoke. "Do you want a statement? here's your statement." He lifted his recorder and pushed record. "I've been working for Jhoana Maraguinot for 3 months and when she come back from the conference I saw her, we talked, it was love on first sight. I asked her to marry me she said yes." I looked at my dad. "I'll see you at the wedding."

Jhoana looked at me and I walked out. She saw the disappointment look that my dad gave me and she sighed. I opened the door for her and banged it behind me.

**

We went upstairs to the bedroom, silent. Nobody was talking.

"So.. I mean.. that was.. I appreciate what you have done but I think that..." She said.

"You'd do the same for me, right?" I asked her.

We looked at each other and was interrupted by a knock on the door.

"I hope nothing is naked." My lola barged in the room and looked at me. "You need to come with me. Tomorrow is your wedding day, you have to give the baby maker a rest." She reached into the patterned sheet on the bed.

"Give your bride a kiss good night, and come with me. You have your whole lives to be together." She stepped out the room.

I looked at Jhoana who is looking at the floor, sighing deeply.

"If I don't go with her, she's just gonna..."

"Come right back. Yeah." She finished my sentence.

Aww.

I looked at her almost teary eyes, I took a few steps back not breaking stare. "See you in the morning?"

She just smiled and nodded, and I left her.