Missing Invitation

The usual hush castle became abuzz with the entire guest around. Once a peaceful place was now bustling with people, maids, servants, and soldiers out all the time. It was as if we were preparing for war. Be careful at every corner or you will bump into a person carrying a plate of salad, madira, or curry (at least I did.) And he or she will spray it all on you.

There wasn't even a day when I would not collide with a Kaurav or worse, their sister. I could handle the remarks and insult of the brothers but, Dusala just loved me too much to let go of me (or more precisely my earrings.). It would pain the whole day after I bump into her. It was hard for Vrushali, too. Handling the demon in a child's form along with all the other guests took a lot out of her. Dusala would prowl the castle looking for me (that's what Vrushali tells me every time I see her.). Thanks to her, I was proficient in sneaking in my own home just to take a bath. The castle bath became a crowded place for two days now as the guests used them in their leisurely hour. So, I took to the river. The river Ganga cut the kingdom in ¾ and went away, bending after some distance from it.

I picked a place outside the city where I found a peaceful bank, with birds chirping and sunlight pouring through the canopy of trees. The water felt icy; it numbed my feet every time in a matter of seconds. The transparent flowing river was slow and supple, with an occasional flip flop of the water as it collided with the stones and rocky banks. Thanks to that, sometimes it felt like it was talking to me. It felt so good that I spent hours on end here. I could feel this water, I have felt its presence before. I have felt the same sensation in my dreams. This is the same river as in that nightmare. May not be the same place, may not be the same bank but I am certain that the water was as cold as of Ganga.

I just wonder why. If only she could answer...........

................................

The doors of the grand hall slowly creaked open as the soldiers pushed it out. I saw Duryodhana sitting on one chair in the court. He didn't approach me or said anything, just waved his hands towards the throne with a downward expressionless face. As I reached for my seat at the end of the hall, every courtier sitting stood up, including him. They bowed, and then we started the session of the day.

All the while during the court session Duryodhana neither said anything nor interrupted in any of the proceedings, whether it be the simple matter of dispute between two brothers, the beating of a slave by a noble or the repair of the dam in the city. I kept a close eye on him throughout the day, (I know because Yuyutsu poked his elbow to bring my attention back to the documents he was presenting.). After the said deed had been done, that day came to a close, and the ministers left. Except for him. He sat there watching each one of them taking their leave. In the end, Yuyutsu got his chance and bowed to take his leave. Duryodhana, like others, intently watched him. I don't know if Yuyutsu replied with the same stare or not.

The hall was now a total silence. It was lit with torches on the pillars which burned the wood soaked in oil and filled the air with its aroma. But as the evening drew close, even their light was not enough to keep all the parts of the hall illuminated. We were the only two people sitting in this barely lit, almost silent room. It was weird that today no servants or maids came to call me or offer refreshments. Is this also his doing? I didn't get much time to contemplate on things as he suddenly got up and started his walk towards me. The echoing sound of his boots filled the air with each step.

After climbing a few stairs he placed his hands on his waists and with a smirk on his face said "Now, for the ending task of the day, your majesty..."