Chapter 9

"Our business is no concern to elves." Thorin spoke fimly, casting a small glance towards Elrond, before looking back up at Gandalf. Bilbo and I exchanged a small look before watching the scene before us unfold.

"For goodness sake Thorin, show him the map!" Gandalf said in frustration from next to Elrond. It has been like this for almost thirty minutes ... and Thorin still refused to show the map to the elven king.

"It is the legacy of my people." Thorin countered firmly, looking up at Gandalf calmly. "It is mine to protect, as are its secrets." I raise a brow, what is so secret about a map?

"Save me from the stubbornness of dwarves." Gandalf shook his head before stating firmly, "You stand in the presence of one of the few in Middle Earth who can read that map." He gestured to Elron saying, "Show it to Lord Elrond."

Thorin let out a sigh, before looking over at Elrond, slipping his hand into his jacket, as he began to take out the map. Balin stopped his arm for a moment saying, "Thorin, no." But Thorin simply yanked his arm out of Balin's grip before handing the map to Elrond.

Elrond took the paper from Thorin's hand, opening it, "Erebor." Elrond then looked over at Thorin asking, "What is your interest in this map?"

Thorin opened his mouth, about to answer till Gandalf butt in quickly, "It's mainly academic." Thorin looked over at Gandalf slightly surprised, "You still read ancient Dwarvish do you not?" Thorin closed his mouth in that moment, looking back over at Elrond.

Elrond looked back down at the map, examining it further as he turned around to shine it in the light in order to see if better. "Moon runes." Elrond spoke in his elvish tongue, causing me to look at him in surprise. I didn't even know those existed anymore ... exactly how old is this map?

"Moon runes?" Gandalf repeated. "Of course. An easy thing to miss." I look over at Gandalf, raising a brow, his sight must be getting worse with his age.

"Well, in this case, that is true." Elrond stated, looking over at Gandalf. "Moon runes can only be read by the light of the moon, of the same shape and season they were written." Elrond informed, glancing back down at the map.

"Can you read them?" Thorin questioned firmly, taking a few steps towards the elf.

Elrond's gaze drifted to Thorin as he answered, "These runes were written on a Midsummer's eve by the light of a crescent moon nearly 200 years ago."

"I admire that map for holding out for 200 years." I whisper to Bilbo who nodded in agreement as he gazed at the map in awe.

"It would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell." Elrond spoke as he walked up onto the platform before walking towards a crystal stone. The falls booming as they poured down on three different sides, almost blocking the moonlight. We followed him up, Thorin taking his place by Elrond's side. "Fate is with you Thorin Okenshield. The same moon shines upon us tonight."

As soon as the words left Elrond's lips, the cloud blocking the moon cleared its way, allowing the moon to shine down onto the white crystal. "Stand by the gray stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole." Elrond read.

"Durin's Day?" Bilbo questioned, looking between Gandalf and I.

"It is the start of the dwarves' new year, when the last moon of autumn and the first sun of winter appear in the sky together." Balin explained from in front of us, looking back at Bilbo for a moment before turning his attention back on Thorin.

"This is ill news. Summer is passing." Thorin spoke, looking over at Balin. "Durin's Day will soon be upon us."

"We still have time." Balin said, taking a few steps towards Thorin.