Chapter 19

I walked through the forest, putting out any fires that I saw that were left over by the dragon. It's body now left behind for the crows to feast on what was left. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand, licking my lips.

I came across the woodland palace, a tall elf with long blonde hair and a crown seeming to be made of sticks turned to look at me. A burn evident on the side of his face, however a healer was tending to him currently.

He stood up as I approached, the healer taking a small step back before tending to his wound once more. "Thank you for slaying the dragon Lady Saharia." He spoke in a calm manner, bowing his head slightly much to the healers' dislike.

I smiled softly, "No need to thank me. Anyone would have done the same." I then look at him with a worried expression, "How are you and your people?"

He winced lightly when the healer pressed a wet cloth on the wound before answering, "We do have a high death rate, but it would have been much higher if you didn't come to our aid." He then let out a sigh, sitting back down. "As for me, I will be fine." He looked at me up and down, "How about you? Do I need to send a healer for you Lady Saharia."

I shake my head, "No, I'm alright. Just a few scratches and burns but nothing that I can't handle." I sat down next to the elf, letting myself rest for a moment before I had to travel back to Rivendell where Elrond awaits to give me my next task ... if there is any new task.

The healer patched up the elf, before moving on to a few injured soldiers. He then turned to me saying, "If you need anything, I will be there." He promised, giving me a small nod, before walking away.

I watched him as a young elf ran up to him, hugging his legs, the elf simply patted his head before walking away. I shook my head, looking away, but I found myself looking back, making eye contact with the small elf, his baby blue eyes staring into my cobalt blue ones.

"Legolas!" I hear the elf call out, the child running away towards his father, the king of the Woodland Realm. But it won't be the last time the king and I made contact with one another, unknown to me, the events that would play out in the future will turn my respect for  him sour.

*************************

I stood beside Thorin as we both looked up towards the throne, an elf with long blonde hair and a crown seeming to be made from sticks, sat on the throne. His eyes widened at the sight of me, next to the king under the mountain. He stood up from his throne as he walked down the steps, "Some may imagine that a noble quest is at hand." He spoke as he made his way to stand in front of both of us.

"A quest to reclaim a homeland.." He trailed off as he glanced over towards me for a moment before looking down at Thorin, "And slay a dragon." He then walked past me, walking behind us slowly, "I myself suspect a more prosaic motive. Attempted burglary or something of that ilk." He then turned sharply, bending down to stare into Thorin's eyes stating "You have found a way in." 

Thorin said nothing, but simply stared at the king in silence, listening to him as he spoke, "You seek that which would bestow upon you the right to rule. The King's Jewel. The Arkenstone. It is precious beyond measure." He spoke with his back turned, before turning back around to face us. "I can understand that. There are gems in the mountain that I too desire. White gems of pure starlight."

My eyes widened at the description, weren't those the gems that once belonged to his wife, before she was killed long ago. "I offer you my help." He spoke, bowing his head slightly before looking at me once more, before looking at Thorin.

I looked over at Thorin who spoke, "I am listening."

"I will let you go if you but return what is mine." The king elf spoke, a small smile on his face.