eight

10:03.

You don't see his car right away, it's not his usual elegant, black one, instead he chose a powder blue vintage car. You don't know enough about cars to name it, but it suits him. It looks like a light summer cloud in your gloomy, rainy street.

The soft knock against his window makes him jump, before he leans over and opens the door. Quickly, you slide into the passenger seat.

"Hi"

"Hi."

"I'm sorry for what happened yesterday", his voice is sincere, "I told them not to come back, but-"

"Harry, it's okay. I'm sorry about running off, that was childish. Can we please not talk about it anymore?"

Harry starts the engine of his old car, "Yes, please."

The seats and the dashboard are of a cream color, matching the steering-wheel that one of Harry's hands is wrapped around delicately, the other one lays on his lap, he only moves it to shift gears every now and then while he navigates the two of you further into the north of London.

It's dark and rainy outside his dreamy car, but London at night has something mystical about it, especially if you're driving.

Unlike the first time he drove you, his eyes lay on you just as much as they lay on the road. He easily makes you feel comfortable, even though you have no idea where he's taking you. His aura takes up every inch in the car, he makes you feel good, it's easy with him, talking is easy and letting go of everything for a while is easy, too.

With an effortless flick against the radio, Harry turns it on.

"So, you've had dinner with your boss?", your question is stupid, he already wrote about his appointment in his letter but you're desperately trying to make the silence less awkward.
"Sorry if I sound stupid, but who is your boss?" You turn your head to look at him, his are on the road.

"Not exactly my boss, my manager, I always call him my boss even though we've been friends since years now." The tip of his nose moves while he talks, somehow it's mesmerizing.

"And you? Have you been to uni today?", he looks over to you with a grin on his face.

His face makes you laugh, "yes, I have, Mum. But I haven't eaten since."

"And what does the young lady crave?"

You lean back in your seat and look out the windshield, "anything that's near."

After a little while, Harry turns onto the parking lot of a fast-food restaurant, but instead of parking, he turns left into the drive-in.

"What do you want, Lucille?", he asks while he's rolling down his window.

Your view quickly wanders over the bright neon-lit board with the menu on it and name a few things you've actually been craving since the afternoon. Plus a milkshake.

Surprisingly, even though he came straight from a business dinner, Harry orders some food for himself as well, before driving around the corner of the small restaurant to collect everything and paying for it.

"I'll pay you back," you say while he hands you the paper bag with both your orders, earning you a confused look from him.

"You don't have to pay me back, Lucille. Don't be silly."

He drives off the parking lot while you thank him for the generosity. The paper bag feels hot and heavy on your thighs, you look over to Harry who now drives over the rainy highway again.