Chapter 2

Eclipse felt sore after the time mining as she trotted after Rockminer. His name was very appropriate. They stopped outside their house door.

"You need to work harder in the caves. How many Honeydews have you mined exactly?" Rockminer scorned her.

"Two. Both really small shards." Eclipse replied.

"That was before you met Polar wasn't it?" He sighed thinking of the day she had walked into the cave with Polar for the first time. Eclipse thought of it too, but she thought of when she fell off a cliff onto her back.

"Yes. What does that have to do with anything?" Eclipse asked annoyed at his distrust lingering in his mind. Then she saw what he was about to say next and she gasped with disbelief.

"You should stop hanging out with her. It ruins our family's reputation and status on the island." He said forcefully.

"I could NEVER stop. She's my best friend. Even better than YOU!" immediately, she regretted saying that last part. "Sorry..." she started, but he had already stomped inside the house. Guilt dragged her down as she walked inside. She unpacked her bag and went off to the Island Nursery.

Eclipse couldn't be mopey when she checked in on the nursery. There was her baby sister, sitting in her egg waiting to hatch. The rainbow glint of the shell told her that she was mostly RainWing. Eclipse was filled with pride when she noticed the new specks of black. She was part NightWing, like the rest of her family. They had already picked out a RainWing name for her. Citrus. Eclipse went over and felt the fragile surface of the egg with a careful talon. It was so flawless. So delicate. She whispered that she would hatch in peace and never have to worry about life here, unlike everyone else. The egg rattled and every dent was mended. How strange, I have never seen an egg do that... She shrugged and went back to her house.