Prologue

"Aveline." The woman was casually reclining on a velvet settee, perfectly at ease. Her pale skin and white-blond hair starkly contrasted her all-black motorcycle jacket and pants.

"Dabria." Aveline warily stepped further into the room, taking a seat on the edge of another couch. Her white robes and flats were simple, but comfortable, nearly glowing against her ebony skin and dark curls. "What's this about?"

"You know full well what this is about." Dabria sat up, swinging her legs over the side of the settee and staring Aveline down. "It's time." Aveline began to shake her head, waving a hand as to dismiss the notion. "Don't deny it."

"No, no. You don't know what you're talking about. It can't possibly be time yet. We've only been at it for–"

"Nine hundred, ninety-nine years." Aveline lifted her head and met Dabria's unyielding gaze. "It rang." Her legs jellied, and she sat back on her couch, faint. It can't have rung... But there was no deceit in the other's face. "I don't like it any more than you do. But if we deny Time her passage, she'll return with vengeance." Aveline shot up and poked a finger into Dabria's chest.

"Don't you quote him at me. Don't you dare." Dabria's face remained calm, and Aveline's hand started to shake. She took a small step back, and Dabria reached out.

"Avel-" Aveline held up a hand and she fell silent. She composed herself and nodded crisply to the other woman.

"I will do all in my power to seek out a suitable apprentice to train. I trust you will do the same." Dabria nodded curtly. "Then I bid you farewell until our apprentices meet." She turned on her heel and strode out through the portal she had come in through. It closed immediately after she stepped through. 

After a few deep breaths, Aveline resigned herself to searching the profiles of the Earth-humans. Searching for who would become her replacement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you liked this update, guys! I'll probably get into the real story soon!