Who knew? (1)

"Ma, I'll be okay by myself, I'm 20" I chuckled hugging my mom. She still showed her deep frown that was rare on her smooth face.

"I know Sera, but we never left you for this long." She gripped her suitcase. I saw the doubt now and I shook my head. Our German Shepard , Aspen barked seeing my mother. I rubbed his head then looked back at my mother.

"Go, have fun with Auntie T and the rest. I'll be here, I can't miss another day of school, Ma." I explained promptly turning her around to meet up with dad.

"I'll see you in a week." I lightly pushed her out the door. I waved happily as I saw her retreat to the car with my father. She looked back at me one more time.

"A week."

It wasn't a week.

"Ms. Johnson?" I snapped out of the memory giving my attention to the lawyer.

"Y-yes." I sniffed my chest becoming heavy again. My hands clenched my hoodie my dad got me for my birthday this year.

The suited man shuffled the papers in his hand as he sat in front of me, scanning through the documents. A couple of days after the accident they called me asking me to come in for something important.

"Again, I am so sorry for your lost." His eyes shifted up to me and I looked down to my lap and mumbled a 'yea'.
"But did you know what your aunt's job was?" I shook my head absently flashing back to the memories, realizing that she's never mentioned what she did for a living. I knew she worked generally for clothing, given her abnormal love for clothes.

Both my father and mother were owners of a small shop in our town in Texas, but she lived in New York.

"She was the ceo of Besset's." My eyes drifted up from my lap back to the man. My head went back in surprise, Besset being my middle name that I hated so much.

"What's that, a boutique?" I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Every time she comes to visit she always dressed head to toe with the best clothes. She'd always gift me clothes for my birthday or Christmas. I've been into fashion, but I never had the confidence to push forward.

Mr. Jacobs let out a short laugh before seeing my serious face. His smile dropped before clearing his throat. A slight sheen layer of sweat formed on his forehead.

"Oh, you're serious." A unnoticeable frown tugged on the sides of my mouth. "Besset's is a multimillion clothes company." My brows shot up in shock. "Owned by your Aunt, Ms. Johnson." A smile stretched onto my mouth in disbelief.

"Now please all joking aside." I waved my hand dismissively. I thought Auntie T would have told me. She was the closest thing to a sister, she would've told me.

"I'm serious Ms. Johnson. Right here," His fingers lifted up the stack of papers letting it flip through the stack. he stopped on a certain page and pressed it onto the paper where he was reading. "You are the next kin to the business, given the fact she never had children." He explained as he fixed his glasses. "She also left you her car, her private jet, the condo in NYC, her house in the Hampton's, her other condo in San Francisco, and her house in L.A., Your parents left you the house in Texas."

I let out a breath taking in the new found information. I fumbled with the strings on my hoodie in thought.

"So, what you're getting at was that I'm an heiress, o-or was and now I own a company? I don't know a thing about running a business." I questioned leaning back into the chair. "And now I have money." My hands ran down my face stressfully. It was a lot to take in.

"You could sell-"

"No." I said pointing at Mr. Jacobs. I dropped my hand sighing giving him a short apology. "I-I'm sorry, but I can't."

"I completely understand Miss, but let me remind you it is in New York." He said tapping the paper.

"So your suggesting I pack my stuff and move from Texas to New York?" I asked. Texas is a whole different setting than New York. We have ranches and cowboys while they have taxis and fashion bloggers. "No offense, but shouldn't advisors help giving me advice?"

"None taken, but they would say the same thing. The main company's building is there, so yes, I strongly advise." I looked around the room assessing the situation. I am- or was a nurse. I dropped out on my first year of med school when the plane crash happened. I wasn't able to focus with the same image of the night of the crash flooding my mind.

"When was the last time the business been attended to?" I watched him flip through more documents to search for a answer.

"About two weeks, I suggest you get on a plane in the next three days before the company crash." I blinked at his advice. Three days to have my stuff shipped off to New York. I let out a heavy sigh, a small headache began to pound in frontal lobe. The decision should've been thought out, had been slept on. But I decided with emotions crushing me and countless thoughts tumbling through my head. It was irrational, rushed.

"Fine. I'll get on a plane Thursday, I'll need the keys to everything by then." I said combing my hand frustratingly through my hair. My gaze went back up to the family lawyer and I saw he was slightly intrigued, thinking about how long I could handle this.

"Yes ma'am. I'll see you tomorrow then." He stood up from his seat then raised his hand. I followed suit grabbing his.

What have I gotten myself into.