The Office (3)

A constant ringing sounded through the dark room. I groaned tossing in my sheets my sleep stare fading every time the phone rang.

"What in God's name-" I snatched the phone from the nightstand swiping it then bringing it up to my ear. "Hello?"

"Ms. Johnson?" A woman spoke through the phone.

"This is she." I said laying on my back.

"Hi this is your assistant, I was previously your aunt's, I didn't know wether you already had an assistant or-"

"No, no" I lifted myself to a sitting position rubbing my face. "You Ms-"

"Just call me Olivia." She chirped. How is someone so happy so early in the morning.

"Olivia, know the ropes of the whole thing since you worked with Talia, correct?"

"Yes ma'am."

"So you can teach me on how everything works."

"Yes ma'am."

"Great, so it okay if I asked why you call at." I pulled the phone from my ear to look at the time. "Six thirty in the morning."

"You're supposed to be in the office at seven, ma'am" She explained. I pursed my lips in thought before asking.

"How long does it take to get there."

"Thirty minutes, your ride is down after you get ready." I scrambled up , throwing open pulling the most decent clothes I had.

"T-thank you so much for telling me Olivia." I looked at the only pair of heels I had, then grimaced.

"Your welcome ma'am." I striped my clothes off quickly, discarding them into the bin.

"Ma'am makes me," I tugged up the pant. "Feel," I pulled over the blouse. "Old, Sera will do." I said scurrying into the bathroom.

"Alrighty Será, see you in a jiffy!" She hung up the phone and I continued to aggressively brush my teeth. I could only guess that she was the one to put together me getting here, because I had no part.

I walked out of the bathroom letting out a deep breath. I looked into the mirror fixing the half tucked blouse and slanted pants.

"Okay, okay." I nodded. I looked for my bag and stuffed what I felt was necessary into it. My attention went to Aspen as he looked quizzically at me. Dammit I forgot about him.

"Uh, you're coming with me." I took his leash, clipping it to his collar.

Today was my first official day, as an CEO and I'm practically late. It wasn't a good start to my morning. My stomach growled, angry I haven't eaten yet.

That isn't either.

-

-

I finally made it to the company building being only surprisingly a minute late.

I shot a quick thanks to the driver before entering the office. Instinctively, people's heads turned towards the door as a sound resonated. I'm definitely getting rid of that.

"I- good morning." I mumbled to them, hurrying to the elevator.

The simultaneous 'morning' that bounced off the walls slightly disturbed me when I walked down the hall. I felt the stares, but I couldn't decipher wether they were for me, their new boss, or the dog following behind me.

When the elevator doors shut I began to think. Being timid and not having some social skills was the opposite of this job description. Me being unable, or unwilling to make eye contact wouldn't get me very far. It wasn't that hard to admit my flaws since I fully embraced them growing up.

I tried fixing my posture, straightening my back lifting my head up. I gave myself a nod of approval as I looked at my reflection in the elevator door.

When the door opened to my floor my head instinctively went down. "Stupid, stupid." I whispered to myself as I stepped out of the shaft. I almost had it. I raised my head, but avoided eye contact with everyone until I found the door with my aunt's name engraved into it.

I opened the door to find her office the same as her room, messy. A chuckle left my lips in how much my Aunt left of her personality.

Deciding it was best to clean up, I began to organize the papers and files scattered across the enormous desk and floor. I went to go straighten the tag on the desk then paused, hand still in mid air. I retracted my hand closing it tightly. I wasn't going to mess with her tag. It almost felt wrong doing that, I already touched and moved her whole office space. My fingers lightly brushed across the metal name engraved into the expensive wood.

A knock on the door made my heart almost jump out of my chest. I clutched my shirt leaning on the desk for support.

"Come in." I breathed out. I stood up straight to see what I guessed was my assistant- or T's assistant.

She was a red head, hair pinned up into a neat design on top of her head. I looked down to her outfit, it being bright yellow skirt paired with a white shirt and a pair of lemon colored heels. My eyes shifted back up to her sapphire blue eyes and soft facial features. She had a bright smile as she waved aggressively at me.

"So nice to meet you in person Sera." She beamed stepping a bit closer to me. A small smile forced itself to show as she reminded me of my best friend back in Texas.

"Pleasure to meet you." I spoke letting my eyes drift back away from her face.

"You know I thought you Texans were loud people, you're the total opposite!" She laughed. Olivia then stopped short a bit of fear present on her face. "I'm sorry if I had offended you." The serious in her voice made me reel back a bit.

I waved my hand dismissively, walking over to the back of the desk.

"No, you're good, I like that you're honest. Besides I need to work on it." I admitted. My head tilted downwards to the stacks of paperwork I collected from around the room, spreading them out to get a better look. "So, how does this work?" I asked.

"Glad you asked, I set you're meetings with other business and partnerships. You have a financing team you need to check in every so often, and also the design committee. Oh, oh, and the factorices that make the clothing, just to show your face. The paperwork you see in front of you are mostly boring stuff that keeps the company together." I scrunched my eyebrows together after listening to her explanation.

"So, you're saying these," I lifted up a piece of paper form the stack. "Boring papers are very important papers." I shook the papers for emphasis as I looked at her for an answer.

"Well yes-" Her eyes went up to the ceiling, rocking back and forth on her heels. "But still boring." She shrugged looking back to to me. I closed my eyes and sighed after I scanned though more of them. "Just read and sign." She smiled pushing a pencil covered in smiley faces behind her ear. "I'll be in my office, next to you btw, if you need anything, bye now." She swiftly spun around and exited the office with a hint of hopping in her step.

I let out a short chuckle realizing she was going to make my life interesting here. My gaze went over to the desk's chair, patiently waiting for me to sit in it. I stared at it as it stared at me, basically waiting for me.

My reluctance got the best of me as I shimmied over to an extra rolling chair as I wheeled it over, pushing my aunt's aside. Once I situated my self, I felt movement under the table. I bent over to the side to see Aspen curled up under my feet. I cooed telling him how much I loved him before finally acting like a business woman.

I read carefully through the papers. Not wanting to miss anything before signing them with my well practiced signature.

Going through to I sat back and blew a breath and hummed. It wasn't so bad as I thought.