A Deal with the Devil (6)

Having everything crammed into your brain about one specific thing for an entire week makes you feel like one more little fact or advice, you're head might explode.

I was tired to say the least and on top of stressed. If I had gotten there any later I wouldn't think I'd be drowning in paperwork for months. Although fortunate things did happen this past week. Yesterday was my last day of paperwork, so I could finally do something else without getting multiple finger cramps through the hours. I also mustered up the confidence with the help of Callie lecturing me for God knows how long, to go and talk to the workers in the building. They were all exceedingly welcoming, and mourned the death of my aunt almost to the extent of myself. It seemed as if this was her second family. Everyone was so friendly.

But there was an unfortunately Mr. Evans, or Kai is coming in t minus ten minutes. I didn't know, but he let off something that I haven't seen before, or yet. I couldn't tell if it was experience or cockiness. Then there was also this confidence and freedom that I'm not too familiar with. He seemed so proper, his accent aided with that, but over all of a fake personality he seemed to give me I see something wild and unpredictable. His whole demeanor irked me.

Today Olivia helped me pick out a cream color button up paired with a dark grey pant and pointed flats. She's been doing it for the past week, and I couldn't be more appreciative given the fact I wore leggings and oversized t-shirts because I was a broke college student. I feel like Olivia was trying mold me into a strong owner who knew what she wanted. But I feel like I disappointed her because I don't think it was working. I always slipped back to my old habits. She's treating me like she would treat my aunt.

I pursed my lips, my head turning over to the chair my Auntie T used to occupy. I let out a short breath and hopped off the desk and shuffled over to the wheeled chair. I ran my fingers over the expensive faux leather seat then began to push it over my desk. I bumped the other seat I got used to, shoving it to the other side of the room. I dusted my hands of, resting my hands on my hips with a hint of pride radiating off of me. One small step for man-

A knock came from the door and I spun around to face it. Before I could say come in, Kai stepped in. I rolled my eyes, beginning to be annoyed. His eyes met mine a glint of interest shone. My gaze averted to the cup of coffee on my desk. I leaned onto the table and and grabbed the mug to take a sip.

"Good morning Mr. Evans." I greeted.

"Call me Kai, Ms. Johnson." He corrected. I lowered the mug to find him already comfortably sitting in one of the seats. I quickly looked over his attire before clearing my throat.

"So are you here to try to convince me about the offer." I raised an eyebrow. I ran so many scenarios last week, my brain couldn't even process one outcome now that it's here. "Because I really don't see how this could benefit my company or yours." I shrugged my shoulders, setting down the mug gently.

I took this time to steal a look at him as his eyes followed my hand. Kai's hair wasn't combed back this time, instead his curls reigned loose around his head. His attire was laid back with his white button up had three buttons unbuttoned which teased a look at his noticeable athletic build under the shirt. My gaze drifted down to the kakis almost tight on his legs. Even if he wasn't put together as he was the first time, he seemed to pull it off beautifully.

His attention snapped back to me and he smiled. The smile hid something else and I was almost afraid to figure out what it was. He unfolded his legs and rested his elbows on his knees as he leaned over.

"Ms. Johnson, I always have a reason for my madness, and majority of the time benefited both parties." He said his voiced covered with smugness. His smile turned into a smirk before he sat up straight.

I remained quiet as I crossed my arms and tapped my index finger on my bicep. He could clearly tell the distrust I had in him as his top lip slightly twitched.

"Do you trust me?" My eyebrows scrunched at the ridiculous question.

"No." I bluntly stated, sitting in the chair my aunt used to occupy. It pained me to do so, but I stayed in it.

Kai stared at me, his eyebrows drew together, with not much room creating tight folds between them, indicating his patience was wearing thin. He stalked over to the desk, swerving around it to me. I pushed the chair away from him, trying to feebly roll away, but he grabbed the chair and pulled it closely to him.

"Ms. Johnson," his voiced was strained.  "Take the offer."

Courage sparked inside of me as I leaned closer with a determined expression and a challenging attitude.

"No." I whispered. Before I could react, his face came rushing towards mine.

The confidence soon crumbled when his face was a one wrong move and our faces would collide away. I sucked in a breath as I was forced to look into his forest green eyes, they swirled dangerously with mischief and deviousness. His determined mind set crushed my own.

"Say no again and I promise you, you'll be saying yes in two ways." His accent added affect to- this threat? I couldn't decipher if it was real and what he meant, but my heart was racing due to the close proximity between the two of us. Adding to that there was a mysterious tension was in the air that made me press my back to the chair to create room him and I.

"I- Mr. Evans it seems like you're blackmailing me or threatening me." I swallowed when my throat began to rapidly dry up. "And t-This is inappropriate." The pitch in my voice raised with every word. He straightened up, but didn't step back.

"Bloody hell you are innocent." He mumbled to himself. A small chuckled followed behind the sentence as he looked me over. I shriveled back in my seat, heat rushing through my body.

"What?" I squeaked. He looked two times taller as he stood over me with a small head tilt. He ignored my question as he raised a neat eyebrow.

"What would you have to lose if you do partner with me? I know whilst I was gone, your assistant, Ella-"

"Olivia." I corrected, but then shut up as he he shot me a short glare.

"Was trying to teach you how to run the place and how to be extraordinary. Let me tell you, if you keep it up you'll be ordinary, which is- okay, but I promise you with me, you'll do exceedingly well." I blinked at him, not able to find the words. I bit my lip in thought. In my mind I wanted to say no, but in the back of it there was a voice screaming yes. It pushed me, encouraging me and smothering my original choice. It wasn't because of the deal, I knew I could do it in my own, even if I was ordinary. It was Evans and how I definitely knew he could push me, but at what cost?

The logical choice was right, but I went left.

"Yes." I muttered. After the word came out of my mouth he quickly spun my chair to face the desk. I heard a crumple of paper as he slapped a not so professional document in front of me.

"I'm going to need that on paper, Sera." I bit my lip as I grabbed a pen from the holder. I stared down at the document and was about to read it until a small breath fanned across my ear. I paused, gripping the pen.

"Just sign it, I swear I won't take advantage of you." He whispered. I gripped the pen harder until I heard a snap. My gaze snapped to my palm.

"I just feel like on the paper it says you take my company." I lightly said as I opened my hand which was covered in ink. "Shit." I whispered. I heard a small approving hum and jerked my head away from Kai. He gently grabbed my ink covered hand and guided it to the paper.

He slid his hand down mine to my pointer and etched my name messily with my inked finger across the line that was for my signature. My heart was beating out of my chest as his head was beside mine, an inch away.

"And that," he gripped the inked hand getting ink on his own. "Will be the last writing you'll have to do in a while." Then he signed his own name under my own. I let out a breath and blinked multiple times.

I just made a deal with the Devil.