Chapter 5

RHEA

... I love you."

As soon she heard those words come out his mouth it was like a flashback. The time when they were together. But now things weren't the same as that time. She loved Samuel but could not deny the possibility that he might not be looking for her thinking she had runaway. The helplessness of the situation brought tears to her eyes and she looked at him.

He freed her hands and handed her a glass of water. She took the glass from his hand and drank endlessly. Once finished she kept it back on the table beside the bed. Matthias placed himself beside her on the bed and took hold of her hand and placed a kiss on the back of her hand. The gentleness of the kiss startled her. He got out of the bed and went back to sit on the chair. The rest of whatever Matthias spoke was blur to her. All she could think about was the turn life had taken. It was like she was still in some kind of a dream just that it wasn't a dream it was the reality of her life.

Then all of sudden Matthias opened the ropes towards the end of the bed; her legs. She moved her legs and placed them on the floor and jerked to stand up. The quickness of her moments caused her to lose balance. Just as she was about to fall, Matthias placed a firm hand on her back straightening her up. Rhea could sense something deep in his eyes, a pain, a sheild.

She knew deep within her that the only person who bore witness to the vulnerable side of this man whom the rest of the world considered an emotionless human, was Rhea herself. She could never forget the day she'd seen him crying like a baby. The image had haunted her for years. But somethings cannot be changed.

He had a firm grip on her and urged her to walk. He took her around the living room.She was impressed of his choice of decor. Every single thing she'd seen in the house so far had been chosen according to her preferences.

They settled on the dining table.

"Let me get you some breakfast", said Matthias and moved towards the kitchen. Rhea was still in an awe that even after 5 years Matthias still remembered her choices. To be honest, she was flattered but she reminded herself that she was kidnapped and Matthias had kidnapped her.

Matthias came out with 2 plates filled with fruits that he set on the table and disappeared into the kitchen again only to reappear with a white porcelain cup in his hand that had a panda on its handle. Just the sight of the cup brought a slight smile to Rhea's face which she was quick to hide.

Rhea took the cup in her hand to see what was inside it. But following the track of everything that Matthias happened to have or get, even this was something that he remembered about her. Black Coffee, no sugar.

As much as Rhea felt like a famished animal, it was important for her to be sure that the food wasn't drugged or poisoned. She did not say anything to Matthias but quietly stared at Matthias. And her expression screamed to him, ' You don't expect me to just it, do you ?'

As if on cue, Matthias spoke, " Eat it, my baby elephant. There's no point starving yourself." When even after his words Rhea did not eat he took a grape from her plate and popped it in his mouth.

"See it's not poisoned".

"I don't trust you. Eat something that I pick out from the plate and also you'll have to take a sip from that coffee so that I can be completely assured."

Rhea picked out a piece of pineapple and stretched her hand to give to him. In response he only opened his mouth wide open and pointed to it like a baby. Rhea rolled her eyes and fed him the pineapple. She pushed the cup towards Matthias for him to sip the coffee next.

At the sight of the coffee, his face changed colour which now put a thought in Rhea's head that something was wrong with the coffee. Now she was firm on her decision of not drinking the coffee until Matthias took a sip of it.