An Aperitif to Start

London, 1923

An early morning breeze ruffled the curtains of the salon, gently caressing the debris of what had been a spectacular party. 

Empty bottles lay stranded around the legs of chairs and couches; herds of abandoned champagne and cocktail glasses littered tables; records huddled in disarray around the phonograph; and a woman's golden shoe lay upturned and forgotten on the carpet. 

Occasionally, a grunt or moan emitted from one of the many partiers, sleeping soundly where they'd passed out. Some of them wore smiles of contentment, others were drooling onto the chintz. 

A sharp, prolonged scream broke the peacefulness of the morning. "Where are my diamonds! My diamonds are missing!" 

Charlotte Wynthorpe jerked her perfectly coiffed head up from Carlton's snoring chest. 

"Oh, just take the blue one and be done with it!" she shouted, before her head flopped down and she tumbled back into sleep and the dream she was having, in which she was forced to take a potato shopping for a new jacket. 

And the damned thing was simply refusing to make up its mind. 

...and thus begins the period comedy-mystery novella "Charlotte Wynthorpe and the Case of the Disappearing Diamonds". Charlotte first appeared in the novel "Aftermath" (by the same author) where she quickly became readers' favourite character. 

No knowledge of the characters or world of "Aftermath" is needed to enjoy this story. However, for those who do, there are plenty of Easter eggs to discover and enjoy. 

Proceed to the mystery! ➢