Chapter Nine | Unexpected Question

The evening soiree occurred on the fifth floor of the Oamaren castle. After a quick change into my final evening gown, I ascended the stairs to an open-air salon, contained in a corner across from a shadowed corridor. Conversation hummed among small circles of guests, a faint accompaniment to the background classical music. I melted into the water, as relaxed as the silky, periwinkle dress that glittered against my skin. My hair no longer bore down on my scalp and instead flowed long and free, releasing some of the tension in my head. At last, I felt like I could breathe.

"Oh good! You're here!"

Catilli's arm linked with mine, her long, peach-colored dress brushing my ankles. I suppressed a sigh. It had been so peaceful. Catilli's buoyancy really didn't mesh with the orchestra.

"Let's head this way." Catilli ushered me toward the back wall. Nitov, Ayil, and Lira were suspended over a set of silvery divans.

"There you are," Lira said over her shoulder. She patted the narrow space on her left, and Catilli joined her, leaving me to slide in by Nitov on the other side.

Fatigued irritation riddled my mind. Throughout the ball, Catilli constantly encouraged us to dance, forcing me to learn abridged versions of "the hurricane," "the krill," and "the neap tide," three traditional Oamaren dances. That, combined with numerous disconcerting glances from Kao, exhausted all my energy. I couldn't take any more of their mer-people games, their constant urging for Nitov and I to dance, talk, eat, or really do anything together. I wanted to sleep, and I wanted to go home.

But when I looked at Nitov, I realized that his eyelids were just as heavy as mine. His weary smile eased my concerns. Surely if we both were tired, they'd be more lax in their prods.

A mermaid sailed by, setting a wooden box in front of us. Lira opened the floating container and placed a flower in her mouth.

"Would you like something to eat, Kiara?" Nitov asked.

My stomach ceased grumbling ages ago, replaced by a hollow ache. Perhaps some food would restore my strength, help me endure the rest of the evening. I nodded, and Nitov offered me the box. Scallops piled in the center, surrounded by a ring of flowers.

No. No more raw fish. I couldn't take it. I reached for a lilac flower. My mouth salivated at a whiff of its perfume. Finally, some delicious sweets to abate my stress. My teeth ground into the delicate petals, releasing herbal bitterness that numbed my taste buds. A neutral expression hardened on my face to hide my disgust.

I grabbed another flower from the box. It looked like a bloated, red animal with tentacles. I stared at it for a moment, my brain telling me to eat it, but my hand refusing to put it in my mouth. Finally, I built up the guts to try it. Sugary liquid burst the second I chewed it. My face scrunched at the feeling.

At least it tastes good.

"....what do you think, Kiara?"

I froze, my mouth full. Four curious faces stared at me. I forced a smile and rapidly started chewing. This is so awkward! I wanted to curl into a shell or disappear. Fortunately, I was going to disappear—without a doubt, I was leaving tomorrow.

Just a few hours, Kiara. Just a few more hours.

The remains of my flower slid down my throat. I suppressed a burp and said, "I'm sorry, what was the question again?"

The others exchanged a glance, a question in their eyes. Heat rose in my cheeks.

"We were wondering if you wanted to go downtown tomorrow," Catilli said. "You haven't seen very much of Oamer."