Chapter Twenty-Two | King Jesole

The clearing froze. The Queen stopped talking, pounding ceased. Even the fire slowed its cruel dance. A voice pattered behind, eons away. My vision tunneled, only focused on the woman high above, the one held my fate in her palm. Her jaw tightened, probably angry that I interrupted the ceremony. But she was a fair Queen, at least in the sense that she'd listen to my final plea. Besides, her desperation to save her husband spoke louder than her furious screams. Surely she'd give me one last chance.

A hand jiggled my wings. I broke from my reverie to face Abido.

"What do you mean?" he asked. Reserve hardened his expression, but a light glimmered in his eyes. Whether it was sorrow or hope, I couldn't tell.

"I have a mermaid tear."

Abido's jaw slackened. "W-what?"

"Just tell her."

It took a minute for him to collect himself, gather the words needed to relay the news. His report elicited murmurs from the crowd, all eyes converging on Queen Tameki. She seemed at a loss, gaze fixated deep in the forest. Her monotone voice spoke, barely audible.

"She wants you to show her," Abido said.

"I-It's in my belt," I said. "I can't reach it since my paws are cuffed."

Abido yelled to the warriors. Reluctantly, one lumbered over and unclasped the chains on my paw. I shoved a shaky claw under the leather flap of one pouch on my belt. The delicate white shell from Melaina lay inside. My claws closed around it and gently lifted it into Abido's cupped hands. His thumb slipped under the lid.

The crowd gasped. A perfect, glassy sphere still rested inside its ebony cocoon in spite of all that had happened. My head tilted upward. Queen Tameki leaned forward, eyes unblinking at Abido's hand. For a moment, I thought she'd jump off her throne to get closer to the treasure. But she made her way to the side of the bonfire, descending a blackened staircase that I hadn't noticed before. Flames sprung at her feet, leapt into her path, but she glided down to stand in front of me.

Queen Tameki's hand flicked toward Erhbai. The healer scrutinized the shell, head dipping from side to side to get a complete look at the drop. Sweat moistened my palms. What if she thinks it's fake? What do I do then?

The taut air shattered with a single nod from the elderly medicine woman. A sigh gushed from the Queen. Abido gave Erhbai the shell, and she approached King Jesole. Her wrinkled finger pressed on his jaw, forging a space just wide enough to drop the tear inside.

A beat passed. One eyelid cracked open, then the other. The King's white complexion warmed into a dark tan. His arms launched his torso off the ground, gaze on Queen Tameki. The Queen's hand flew to her mouth, a cry escaping her lungs. She raced to him and flung her arms around his neck.

A tentative clap rose, then another, and another, until the entire crowd cheered. Any hostility toward me washed away. Some even dipped their heads in my direction. My jaws parted in a grin. The only thing I could think about was how potent those tears were. A droplet cured a fully grown man on his deathbed in an instant. Based on what my biology teacher taught me about the human body's healing process, I knew that was a miraculous feat. Imagine how mermaid tears could transform the world of medicine if there were a larger supply.

Realization hit me, so strong I nearly collapsed. It was my gift that saved the tribe's monarchy. If I hadn't turned into a dragon, I'd have never come.

And the King would have died.

Noise dwindled in the air. King Jesole strode toward me, the epitome of strength and dignity, like he hadn't been ill in decades. In contrast, Queen Tameki stumbled beside him, arm in his, face drenched in tears. Though I provided the antidote to his disease, panic still gripped me.

He stopped a foot away. Thank goodness I was a dragon. King Jesole would've towered over my short human form, making me even more terrified. His deep voice rumbled something in the tribe's language.

"He wants to know if your fire saved his life," Abido said.

"Tell him no," I said. "Say that I had a mermaid tear, which I gave to him."

Abido repeated this to the King, or at least I presumed he did. The King's eyebrows darted upward. I wondered if mermaid tears were more rare than dragons. They garnered more of a reaction than I, an eight-foot creature, did.

"Tell him that the flames didn't work since I'm not a real dragon," I continued.

The King's head jolted to the side at Abido's message. He rapidly spoke to the Wiseman.

"He asks what you are if you aren't a dragon." Abido relayed.

"I'm a human. Tell him I'm here to see the Gemini so they can transform me back."

Abido spoke to him way longer than my simple explanation, probably detailing my arrival and the other tidbits of information I'd told him about myself. My claws laced together, digging into my scales to suppress the building anticipation. When Abido finished, King Jesole rubbed his long beard. It took forever for him to utter a short phrase.

"When do you want to leave?" Abido asked.

"As soon as possible."

For the last time, Abido conversed with the King.

"The King says that you can leave first thing in the morning. It's too dark right now. I and three warriors will escort you to the Gemini's lair."

"Thank you!" I exclaimed. Relief crashed through me. Finally, I'd get to see the Gemini.

I knew you would, the dragon said, his first appearance in over a day. I'd call them blissful days, but the underground room was the worst living accommodation I'd ever endured.

You've been awfully quiet, I thought.

Just catching my Zs. Even dragons have gotta rest.

I forced my eyes to not roll. I just needed to make through one more day with that infernal dragon, then the Gemini would rid me of him.

My shackles clanked on the ground as a warrior released them. I shook out my paws. It felt so good to no longer be confined. In the corner of my eye, I caught Dranesh standing off to the side. His eyebrows formed a bushy line across his forehead. Was it my imagination, or was he scowling even after his King was saved? Did he hate me that much?

Abido's elbow nudged me. "Come on. I'll show you to your new quarters."

Thank goodness I didn't have to return to that wretched hole. I shoved the head warriors from my thoughts. At least the King and Queen liked me, and that's all that mattered.

As I followed Abido back into the forest, King Jesole's promise sunk in. I was going to be human again. Which meant I could go home.

Hold on, Lani, I thought. I'm coming!