•Three•

Two weeks passed since Kalea had that 'panic attack' at the library. Although the pain had disappeared then thanks to the mystery doctor named Marcellus, by the time she got home, she fell ill again. She was bedridden. Her mother did her best to take care of Kalea despite not having a clue as to what was happening to her own daughter. Emily went over every day to keep Kalea's company, in an attempt to cheer her up and fill her in on everything she missed at school so the girl could feel less lonely.

"You'll never guess what happened to Gwenny Richardson in History class yesterday." Emily said, trying her best to hold in her laughter so she could tell the story. "While Sir Reed was teaching, we heard moaning in the back of the class. So he went to see what was making the noise, and he found Gwenny straight up watching porn, but she didn't notice him 'cause she had her airpods in and her eyes were closed. Plus she was so close to edging. All he did was cross his arms and waited till she was done, and when she opened her eyes he was like, 'Glad to see you enjoying yourself in my class, Ms Richardson. Why don't you swing by the Principal's office after school so we can tell her how excited being in my class makes you'. The whole class started laughing and Gwenny was blushing. You should've seen the look on her face, Kal." She wiped a fake tear from her eye. "It was hilarious."

"Maybe now she'd know how I felt when she made up that stupid rumor about me in primary school. Karma always gets her cut after all." Kalea managed to say before letting out a long dry cough.

Emily's expression softened. "Kally, I love you, but just know that I mean no offense when I say you look like shit."

Kalea laughed to herself. The girl was right. She laid in her bed wrapped up like a burrito because she was feeling hot and cold at the same time. Strands of her hair stuck to her sweaty forehead and her eyes were puffy. The funny thing was that she wasn't in pain, she simply felt weak. Her limbs were stiff and drooping. She was still unsure of how she had gotten to that state.

"I really hope you get better.... and that you're not growing a mini molester in you. 'Cause that would actually explain why you're still suffering." Kalea rolled her eyes and Emily sighed as she glanced at her phone, noticing the time. "I'd better head out. Same time tomorrow?" The girl nodded. "Rest up." Emily walked out of the room. Shortly afterwards, Kalea's mother, Mrs Webster, knocked on the open door before entering.

"Hi, honey." She solaced, leaning down to kiss Kalea on her forehead. "How are you feeling?" Kalea shrugged. "You have a visitor." As she announced that, a man walked in. It was Marcellus, of course. Without really knowing why, Kalea forced herself to sit upright in his presence. Something about the man made her show respect without hesitation.

"Ms Webster, it's good to see you again. Though, I wish it were under different circumstances." He said. He really wasn't lying when he said they'd see each other again, and soon.

She hacked, clearing her throat. "Dr Marcellus. What brings you here?"

"Mr Gremery and I happened to run into each other at the grocery store. He asked about you, so I invited him over." said Mrs Webster.

"Wow, that's random." Kalea said sarcastically

Marcellus cleared his throat before turning to Mrs Webster. "Uh... can you kindly give us a moment? Alone?" The woman nodded and exited the room, closing the door behind her.

The man turned his attention back to the ill girl. He sat on the edge of her bed, his form was rigid and his facial expression was unreadable, so she couldn't tell whether he was giving her news that was good or bad. It looked like he was trying to find the right words to say and how to say them. "Have you ever..." He paused to think, "Have you ever been involved with someone who showed unusual signs of aggression?"

Her brows furrowed.

"How about we start with that scar on your neck; how did you get it?"

Kalea told herself she wasn't going to say anything, but despite all her efforts to suppress the secret, something forced her to come clean. "I had a... one-nighter with a guy I met at a club, but that was last year. I was really drunk; I did some things, he did some things... I think he scratched me by accident, but I was so out of it I didn't even notice." After she blurted it out, she started feeling guilty again, just like she did back then when she woke up in an empty bed.

Marcellus scooted closer to her, resting his palm on her hand. "I'll just cut to the case." He leaned in for a dramatic effect and then he whispered, "You're turning into a werewolf."

The room fell silent for what felt like years, until Kalea burst out laughing. She laughed and coughed for almost a minute. Marcellus' expression remained the same, in fact, he didn't say anything. He just waited until she was finished getting a kick out of what he had told her. When she finally composed herself again, she looked at the man sternly.

"A were-what?"

"A werewolf is-" He began explaining but she cut him off.

"No no, I know what a werewolf is, obviously. I've seen all kinds of movies. What I don't get is what makes you think that I'm one. In case you didn't know, werewolves are fictional."

Marcellus shook his head. "Then you have a lot to learn." He stood up and started pacing back and forth, going through a bunch of ol' talk that she had honestly tuned out from. She was pretty sure that she already knew all there was to know about werewolves, so whatever he was saying was unimportant to her. He only regained her attention when he said; "I can help you, Kalea. If you really are Turning, then I can get you the help you need... but there's something you have to keep in mind."

"And what's that?" She asked him.

"The life that you once knew... will soon be no more. Everything you thought you knew would be questioned and tested. You can't stay here, though. If you want the pain to stop, you'd have to take up residence at The Grafton Institute as soon as possible."

Kalea was dumbfounded. She had so many questions. "Sorry, I don't think I heard you well. 'Take up residence?' You want me to leave my home and my mom and best friend behind to go with you - a stranger who just happened to save my life one time - to some fancy school? What even is Grafton? What am I supposed to do there? How will that help me get better?"

"As I said before; all your questions would be answered soon... if you come with me." He said.

The girl hummed. "Say I decide to go with you, right? When exactly do we leave?"

Marcellus glanced at his wristwatch and then back at her. "Right now."