°Four°

Kalea never thought the day would come when she'd have to move out. Sure, she knew it would've happened eventually, like when she finally graduated high school and was on her way to college, but she still had a few years until then. Not anymore. Marcellus wasted no time. All she had to do was yes, and she did, but only because she wanted to see how far he was willing to carry this bad joke. He couldn’t possibly be serious about… werewolves… right?

   He went downstairs to inform her mother of the situation. That she needed medical attention and psychiatric support to help her get past the traumatic event she endured a year ago. Kalea was surprised her mother agreed but then again, he promised the woman there was also an education program where she’d get to continue her studies and secure a spot in any college of her choice, so why would Mrs Webster decline such an offer? Before she knew it, she was packing a suitcase, waving her mother goodbye and getting into an Aston Martin with a man she'd known for less than a week.

   The car ride was mostly silent. She could've used that time to ask Marcellus more questions, but she figured she’d wait until she saw this Grafton place with her own eyes. She no longer felt as bad as she did before, but she still hadn’t regained her full strength. She took the time to let her eyes wander back and forth on the road, memorizing the route for future reference. The further they drove, the more trees came into view. Soon enough, there was nothing but trees and the road ahead of them. Kalea glanced at Marcellus from the corner of her eye. She silently wondered if he was taking her somewhere where he’d be able to torture her and dump her body deep in the woods so no one would ever be able to find her.

   “If you’re wondering whether or not I’m taking you somewhere to kill you, then don’t.” Marcellus said, pulling her out of her own thoughts.

   The girl shrugged. “Can you blame me for it? You still haven’t told me where exactly you’re taking me and why.”

   Marcellus peeped at her and then back at the road before speaking. “The things that you’re about to find out would not have been easily digested if I had told your mother the whole truth.” The man sighed deeply before continuing. “I myself am an old lycanthrope. You and I, we aren’t the only ones of our kind, and that’s why I created The Grafton Institute. My goal was to build a safe place for people like us who have no other choice but to adjust and adapt to this lifestyle. Over the years, it has become a haven for lost souls that are in constant pain and are suffering because they have no idea what is happening to them after being infected.”

   “So it’s basically a school for werewolves?”

   “If that’s how you want to put it, then yes it is.”

   A massive brick structure came into view as they neared what appeared to be a dead end — or more specifically, a huge cul de sac. Kalea’s mouth hung open as she stared in awe at the building they were approaching.

   “All the recruits I’ve brought here had that exact same reaction. Still, it never gets old.” The man chuckled to himself as he pulled into the designated parking beside the main building.

   Marcellus switched off the ignition before they both exited the car. Kalea’s eyes immediately wandered around her as she took in the impressive scenery. The campus was huge with different buildings here and there. She could only assume that each area was designed for various things that she’d discover in time. She made a mental note to go exploring whenever she had a chance to.

   A young man approached them. He was blonde and handsome with a toned physique and he was dressed in a gray tracksuit. He bowed at Marcellus before speaking. “Welcome back, Professor Gremery.” The boy said. “She’s the new recruit?” He locked eyes with the girl and shot her a smile before looking away.

   Marcellus nodded and turned to her. “Kalea, this is Lukas Stewart. He’s one of my most recent  recruits and has been here for 3 years. He’ll show you around while I tend to some delicate matters. When the day ends, I’ll come check to see how well you’ve settled in. Good luck.” He smiled at her. Kalea bopped her head as Marcellus left.

   “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you, Kalea. Follow me, please.” Lukas said before turning to leave. She skipped to his side as he began the tour. They decided to head into the main building first. As they passed each room and Lukas explained what each area is used for, Kalea started to feel bored. Lukas must have noticed her expression or heard her yawn at some point, because he suddenly stopped walking and turned to look at the girl.

   “Who am I kidding, a tour doesn’t answer the hundreds of questions that I’m sure you still have gnawing at your curiosity, doesn’t it?”

   She shook her head.

   “Well, I don’t know as much as my seniors, but I’ll try my best to answer based on what I’ve learned so far.” He said. “For starters, you should know by now that Grafton is a home for us lycanthropes. The Professor and a few of the Betas usually go out to different places and scout for new recruits and rogues --- anyone who had been bitten or scratched or got infected in another way. They bring them back here and train them to be one with their inner wolf and continue living a good life in spite of their unique abilities.”

   “In most ways, Grafton is like a mundane school. There are five ranks for each wolf; Rouge, Omega, Delta, Gamma and Beta being the highest. One is ranked based on how much knowledge and experience they’ve gained and how connected they are to their Wolf. The more we learn and adapt, the higher we ascend.”

   “At the moment, you’ve already moved up a rank from the moment the Professor brought you here. You went from a Rouge to an Omega, which means you now have standard knowledge despite having no experience thus far. Don’t worry, I have high hopes that you’ll be climbing the ladder in no time.” The boy ended with a bright grin.

   Kalea hummed, “And what rank are you at? If you don’t mind me asking.”

  “I’m a Gamma, but if I play my cards right in the next assessment, hopefully I’ll be able to become a Beta before the year ends.”

   Someone snorted. “You’ve been saying that since last year and it still hasn’t happened.”

   Kalea turned her head to meet two people; a boy and a girl. The boy had short black hair with orange highlights, a nose piercing and a thorny rose tattoo on his neck while the girl was a bit taller and had long brown curls that fit her petite figure. She also had a discolored eye. Kalea wondered if perhaps the girl was half blind..

   Lukas frowned. “That doesn’t mean that this year won’t be different. And you’re one to talk when you haven’t ascended from the Gamma rank for 3 whole years.”

   “Awh, babe I was waiting on you to become a Beta first. Why do you think I keep flucking on the exams? When you ascend, I’ll ascend too.” The other boy said.

   Lukas just rolled his eyes and sighed. “Kalea, that’s Brooke and the douchebag over there is Gordan.”

   Kalea smiled shyly at the pair.

   “I’m glad. We haven’t had a female recruit since I came.” said Brooke

   “And Thank Lunah for that, am I right?” Gordon laughed as he eyed Kalea creepily.

   “You’re not my type.” Kalea said dryly. That made Gordon scoff as the other two laughed at his shocked reaction.

   Brooke threw her arm around Kalea’s shoulder and said, “You and I will be getting along quite well, newbie.”

   “Is that the new recruit?” Another voice said. This time it was one that Kalea recognized. Her entire body froze as she turned to meet the face she dreaded seeing again, a face that reminded her of all the unresolved pain she tried her best to forget for months but failed at doing so.

   She dreamed of the moment when they’d met again, she practiced all the things she would do and say from the moment their eyes met one another. She never imagined that it would actually happen, but there he was standing right in front of her.

Dylan Whyte.

As if on instinct, her body jerked forward as she moved closer to him with absolute murderous intentions. God alone knew what she had planned for that bastard.