The Myserious Employer

The Thief made his brilliant escape and left the teachers, students and Pinkertons astounded and baffled. Truth was he absorbed his demon and got out the same way he got in, slipping by the Pinkertons in their own shadows. He left Corcillum in a roundabout manner, slipping through the Dwarvish section and making it to the city limits by sunrise. He scaled the wall of the Ground Hog Inn and slipped through the window on the second floor.

The Thief sighed and sat on the bed, at the end of which lay a pack. He lent over and removed a set of clothes accompanied by a short coat and brown wide brimmed hat. Hurried dressing himself, he hid his mask and thieving clothes in his bag. He swung it onto his back and left the room.

The lady at the front bar smiled at him and waved goodbye as he left. The Thief put in an easy carefree smile to match his innocent walk. He passed the Pinkertons with a wave, neither recognising him, but waving back. He smirked to himself and continued down the road, smiling politely at any carts that passed. He made it to the nearest town by midday thanks to a helpful farmer.

The Thief was starving, yet had neither the time nor money to stop and eat. Thus said, his stomach was growling by the time he reached a dingy little bar. He glanced overhead at the sun. About two o'clock by his calculations, he hoped he wasn't late. He shoved aside the wooden door that looked thoroughly rotten, and staggered as the stench of mould and spilt booze crashed into him. He gaged but kept a composed face.

"Mr. Blake." Said a deep voice as he entered. "I trust you had no trouble." It continued as he sat down at a bench next to a man in a dark coat.

"Yeah, yeah. I made it out didn't I? I said I would too." The Thief replied to the man.

"That you did. Now tell me what I want to hear, and give me want I want have." The man said, his tone commanding.

"How do I know you'll pay me?" The Thief replied.

"You ask that every time." The man said, and coughed. The bartender came over a placed a bag nonchalantly on the bench. He perked up at the sound of coins.

"Well?" The man sounded annoyed. "The information? The item?"

"It's all there?" He asked, reaching for the bag. The man slammed a fist on his arm and the Thief bit back a yelp.

"You accuse me of cheating you?" He snarled. The Thief shook his head and the man released him. "Good."

"It's real open." The thief said. "The stairs overlook large areas. The walls are covered in ivy and there's only two guards. Locks operate on four tumblers."

"And the stone?" The man asked.

"Broken in the fight. A teacher swiped the pieces." He said.

"Very well. Take your gold and go." The man growled. The Thief wasted no time jumping to his feet, snatching the gold, and walking from the tavern.

He ducked into an alley way and opened the bag. "Damn!" He yelled and pelted the bag at the ground. A few metel disks fell out. They were nothing but flat disks of steel that had been poorly shaped. Dipping a hand in his poker and removing the scrying stone, whole and untouched, he was gland he'd skimped out on the man. He retrieved the bag and metal disks, they could come in handy. Now for more pressing matters. How would he eat?

<><><><><><><><><>
Hello again everyone! I just have a quick question. Are my chapters too short? Please let me know in the comments.
Love, TallestSilver