Chapter 9

"All animals are created equal,
but some animals are more equal than others." -George Orwell, Animal Farm.

It was a battle that never snuffed itself out-the struggle between the ideologies of the East versus the West. It pitted brother against brother, and sparked incendiary conflicts that could only result in tragedy and bloodshed.

But it was still essential, and America knew this. She knew that the East was a precious counterweight-a check and balance on the power of her own nation-and for that reason, she respected the East. Despite their differences, and despite all of the senseless terror and anger it fueled, it could not be any other way.

Neither could win because neither victor deserved the title of ruler of the world. The role of devil's advocate had to be played by someone, and while she understood how imperative this adversarial system of thought was, that did not mean she had to agree with it. In fact, she would try and try again to have her way because she firmly believed in the power of the free world, and an instinctive need for asserting herself drove her to extinguish any contender.

So when communism tested the resolve of democracy, she stood her ground.

She refused to be the first to blink.

And it was messy, as with all things involving politics. Innocent civilians were tangled up in a war of beliefs-a combat that was entirely out of their hands while their respective governments chose what they claimed was the best side for their nation to ally itself with.

Nowhere was this philosophical campaign more visible than in Berlin; it was the city shrouded by a literal iron curtain, sliced into two as both sides tried to prove that their ideas were superior.

America stood in the heart of this war-torn society in 1961, watching as the final rolls of barbed wire ran across the length of the Wall, separating brethren. A difficult sight to fathom, it established a tangible divide between the Western world and the East-a place where everyone cringed in fear and anxiety of what might happen next.

And the people of the East waited for a response-expected America to tear down the Wall with her tanks and expansive military, but she did not. Europe had scarcely recovered from World War II, and it was not the time to risk a third war.

She could do nothing but watch, and, once again, she was rendered helpless.

"Thank you for agreeing to come with me on this trip," she told England as they stood just a few yards away from the Wall. "I needed to see it for myself. I needed to be with the people of West Berlin."

England gazed upon the foreboding structure and its cement bricks with a look of utter solemnity. "I understand, and you musn't thank me-it was high-time that I paid a visit as well..."

For a long moment, they did not speak. After all, what was there to say? They had failed. They had given Russia free reign to dominate Eastern Europe after the Yalta Conference, and it was a mistake on their part.

Now, they could only preserve what had not been lost.

With the hustle and bustle of daily life in West Berlin, it seemed incredulous that its people could function with such tenacity and proficiency while the East loomed over them like a shadow. The sheer courage of Berliners spoke in a voice that was far greater than the symbolism of the Wall. Every eye in West Berlin was filled with a glimmer of hope, and it filled America with inexplicable admiration.

"The beauty of this city cannot be contained; it will spill over, and this damn wall won't stand for long," she said with a conviction that stirred deep in her gut. She dared to approach the Wall and rested a hand on its sturdy surface, wishing she could reach across to the other side and embrace all those who were trapped in what had become a completely different civilization.