Learning Magic

Azrael Regulus Black had a very well-rounded education. At the age of four, he began his training to 'serve our Lord as soon as he comes for us'. He learned the Mind Arts and masks from Augustus Rookwood, whose secrets had secrets and was very good at protecting them.

He learned History of Magic and Dark Magic Theory from Barty Crouch Jr., a Ravenclaw with a ridiculous passion for knowledge.

Sirius promised that as soon as he was further along with his Occlumency he would begin teaching him the Animagus transformation, as not much other magic worked in Azkaban, but when he woke up to Azrael swirling globes of colored light in the air, eyes wide with childlike wonder, he began to instruct him in the little household charms he could do wandlessly.

Eventually it became Sirius telling him the outcome and the incantation, and he performing the spell.

His power levels were unheard of .

Bellatrix clapped and cooed at his every spell, singing praise and telling Az what a good servant he would be to their Lord, maybe even his right-hand man.

Az grinned his toothy seven year old smile at this. He'd never had someone tell him he was good, never had someone say they loved him, but his Padfoot told him every night before the Dementors started their rounds that "You're my pup now,Azrael, and I'll always love you, for ever and ever," and he cuddled close to his Padfoot, and returned the sentiment.

When Azrael was seven and he successfully pushed past Augustus Rookwood's mental shields, Augustus proclaimed him ready to receive Sirius' animagus instruction.

After the first round of meditation azrael opened his eyes and excitedly gasped out to Sirius that he had "Four forms, Padfoot, can you believe it?! I can't tell what they are yet but I'm so excited to find out!" and Sirius grinned and laughed, and Bella joined in, and their cackles shook the tower.

The Dementors would pass by and Padfoot would huddle in the corner,pressing Azrael against the wall behind him, the dog acting as a barrier between the hooded spectres and his pup, and Azrael would stroke his fur, green eyes glimmering as he whispered to the dog that soon he would have another form, and he wouldn't have to hide anymore, that soon Sirius would muster up the strength to teach him the Patronus charm and then they would all be safe, Aunt Bella and Uncle Rook too, and he would protect them all until their Lord came.

Sirius told Azrael of how he had been slowly losing trust in the Goat Whore and so had his friend Lily, but Lily stayed with Prongs and Prongslet to keep them safe, because they had all been too much of idiots to realize that they were all on the wrong side, and then Goat Whore said Prongslet was part of a prophecy and that they had to run and hide and made Wormtail the Secret Keeper but Padfoot cried because they were so stupid, pup, you can't imagine what idiots we were and Wormtail gave away their secret and they died- they were casualties, pup, much as it hurts me to admit, and the Dark Lord was only eliminating a threat but to have a friend turn on you, oh pup it hurts so much-

 That night Azrael snuggled against Sirius and comforted him.  

The day after, he made his first animagus form, and Sirius gaped at the thestral standing before him, because surely not, surely a reflection of his pup's deepest personality and soul couldn't be an omen of death and every resident around could see him and thoroughly congratulated him on his achievement, Bellatrix laughing like a loon.

The adults whispered as Azrael that was back in his human form slept that night

"The animagus transformation at seven, a magical creature no less- Merlin, he'll be powerful."

"That's not what I'm worried about, Rookwood, I'm worried that the reflection of his soul is a fucking thestral- "

"Personally, I think it's wonderful. "

Sirius rolled his eyes. "Of course you do, Bella, you're pleased it's got to do with death cause you're a maniac ."

Bellatrix snorted. "Too right."

"Black, just focus on unlocking the others. The fact that he's young is working with us, he's not set in magic yet. Hell, he may not even be able to use a wand, now that we've literally educated him up to standard fifth-year spells wandlessly. "

Sirius grinned. "I don't see much of a problem with that. He'll be ridiculously capable in wandless magic and it'll be fantastic, wish someone taught me all this before I'd already set in a wand. Speaking of which, do either of you know any languages?"

Rookwood scoffed. "I am fluent in French and Latin."

"Just a little Latin, we Blacks had to learn. I'd much rather start teaching him some nastier Dark curses. Siri, he's old enough now, isn't he?"

Sirius sighed. "I suppose. No Unforgivables yet, though."

Bellatrix grinned. "The Unforgivables will be his birthday presents, of course. Cruciatus his ninth, Imperius his tenth, and Killing his eleventh," she giggled. "That way he'll be all ready for Hogwarts!"

Sirius rolled his eyes. "Talk to Barty about making sure he doesn't get sucked into Dark Magic Addiction. You can teach him slow and steady."

Rookwood grinned sharply. "I, of course, will teach him the languages I know and continue with mental discipline. By his eleventh he will be fluent, possess impeccable masks, and have impenetrable Occlumency defenses. We could ask around, I suppose, see if anyone can instruct him in Blood Magic and Warding. I'm not proficient enough to teach him safely."

"Yes, of course," Sirius mused. "If he's got his first Animagi transformation down now, while he's seven, we'll set a goal to have his second form on his eighth and third a few months before his ninth, as to not coincide with Bella's first present."

Bellatrix grinned madly. "You do realize the things we teach him if he uses outside would land him right back here?"

"We'll warn him, of course. Maybe Barty can instruct him in Magical Law?"

Barty Crouch Jr. looked up from his dirt marks and blinked owlishly at the three people staring at him in expectation.

"Oh," he said, and cleared his throat. "Yes, I suppose we could drop History in favour of Law, and since Bella will teach Dark Magic there's not much need for theory. I'm not too bad at Runes. I know you didn't mention that, but maybe it can translate to Warding...?" he trailed off.

Sirius smiled. "Runes sound great, Barty. Thanks for helping."

Barty smiled a little crazily and went back to tracing in the dirt humming.

A throat cleared in the darkness, and Sirius looked up to see Antonin Dolohov staring at him.

"I can teach the child Blood Magic," he coughed. "Not much, but enough to get by."

"Fantastic," Sirius grinned, then rubbed his hands together. "Ooh, just imagine Azrael showing up to Hogwarts, marching right up to old Goat Whore, and calling him that.HA Can you see it?!" he cackled. "The professors won't know what hit them!"

Bellatrix joined in, throwing her head back and laughing maniacally. Rookwood's eyes gleamed in the darkness.

"The Light will lose all hope when they see our prodigy child."