Chapter 5

Its been a week. One whole week since Tsukishima was last sick. Nothing had changed from the previous week, it was almost as if he repeated the same day. Over and over and over. It was just, wake up, go to school, practise, go home, and then sleep. He felt...depressed. Like nothing was worth it if you die anyway.

But one thing was worth it, and that was seeing his best friend's smile every day. The smile that he wanted to protect, forever. It belonged to the boy he wanted to protect forever. Nothing would get in the way of that...

One day after practice, Hinata sidled up to Yamaguchi, blushing profusely. He asked him quietly if they could speak outside. The orange-haired boy tugged at Yamaguchi's sleeve and led him to a secluded area outside.

"So what did you want to talk about, Hinata?" Yamaguchi asked him confusedly. Hinata was so outgoing and loud, it was rare for him to want to speak somewhere privately.  He usually just yelled everything out.

"Well, I um... I like Kageyama, and I asked him out yesterday. He...said yes. But I don't want to screw it up! So can you come with us? You can bring Tsukishima too!"

Yamaguchi laughed and ruffled Hinata's hair.

"Alright, I'll come. Just promise not to be too lovey-dovey with him"

Now all Yamaguchi had to do...was to convince his best friend to hang out with the two people he hates. This was going to take a lot of convincing...

"So, Tsukki. Are you um, doing anything tomorrow?" Yamaguchi and Tsukishima were walking home together again. For the past 10 minutes, Yamaguchi had been trying to work up the courage to ask the blond about the date they were invited on. He didn't want to let Hinata down.

"No, I'm not."

"So um, Hinata wants to us to come with him, since he's going on a date with-"

"The king. I know, everyone knows. It's obvious."

Yamaguchi sighed, before continuing to plead.

"So, please can you come? I don't want to let him down..."

Tsukishima considered it, maybe going out wasn't too bad of an idea? He could treat Yamaguchi well, and maybe that would help relieve the crushing guilt he was feeling.

"I guess I could put up with the king and the queen..." 

Suddenly, Yamaguchi turned around and hugged him tightly. Tsukishima nearly jumped out of his skin with shock from the sudden contact. His heart raced, his body shook, the ground swayed beneath his feed. It felt like a sudden drop on a rollercoaster. Very unexpected and scary, but you love the feeling.

You want to go on the rollercoaster, again and again, to experience that same feeling you love so much. It's scary, but fun.

"Thank you Tsukki. I appreciate it." He lifted his head, Tsukishima saw the familiar smile on his face, the dusty pink blush on his face, the freckles on his cheeks. If hanging out with the King and the human tangerine would make his best friend happy, he would do it every day no matter what.

.

.

.

"Remind me why I'm doing this again?" Tsukishima grumbled, walking into the small restaurant with his best friend. "We promised them. Now, please be kind Tsukki, it's their date." Yamaguchi convinced the blond to dress up nicely, and actually make an effort. The two had spent the morning together, getting ready for their hangout.

The other two males were already sitting at the booked table, arguing over stupid things like which drink was better. "Oh! There they are! Hey Yamaguchi, and hey to you too Saltyshima." The shorter male waved his hand to them and beckoned them to the table.