A Constant State of Being

"Happiness is when what you think,
what you say, and what you do are in harmony."
-Mahatma Gandhi

There are just some situations that are just hard to handle. Katie couldn't even think of where to start with her little...situation. How does one handle finding out that they can speak to the dead, or that they can stop things with a single word?

So until she figured out exactly how to deal with it, she would ignore it. For the moment anyway. Right now she had a company to run, a baby to finally coax out of her, and a teenager that would be arriving soon. There was just no time to dive into this newfound crazy of hers. Which was hard at the moment, especially when she was sitting in the office of her crazy doctor.

"So I guess we have to build our trust all over again," Nick spoke from his chair where he sat watching Katie who stood in her favorite spot in the office, by the window. "Let's start with simple. You're having a baby, that has to be a little scary."

"It is." Katie replied, her eyes on the park across the street.

"Is that why you're here?" Nick asked, still staring over to the woman. "You didn't say much when you made the appointment and now you're here and it's like you're paying me to stare out my window. Which is fine, but if I'm not needed, there is this sandwich shop down the street I've been dreaming about."

"Do they have good sandwiches?"

"Well yes they do, they actually-" Nick stopped because he noticed what she was doing. She was deflecting. "You can't be here to talk about sandwiches." Katie let out a sigh, and Nick looked down at his notes. "We haven't talked about Oliver."

"Why would we?"

"Because that topic you swore you would never discuss is now your boyfriend and the father of your baby," Nick replied. "And I get the feeling he may be the reason you're here today."

"You think he's driving me nuts?"

"I believe he's the one person in your life that could get you to come back here when he sees you need some help."

"He doesn't know I'm here actually," Katie replied walking over to take the seat across from the doctor. "He suggested I see you, but I brushed it off and told him I didn't need a therapist."

"But you're here now because you think you do?"

"No I'm here now because I don't know what I need." the woman shook her head because that was the truth.

"Why did Oliver suggest you see me?"

"Because I told him something, something I think freaked him out and when he tried to get me to talk more about it, I wouldn't...I couldn't." She turned to see Nick silently staring at her.

"Hallucinations," Nick said and Katie turned away from him. She thought they were hallucinations, but she realized that maybe they weren't and she felt that made her crazier than before. "Who are you seeing?"

"My uncle-" Katie says turning back to the man. "He was a bad guy who did bad things, and he died." she shrugged. "I used to see my mom all the time, but now not so much lately."

"So your uncle, and your mom-" she watched as Nick scribbled something on his note pad. "Anyone else?" he looked back up to the woman and she just folded her arms with a shake of her head. "I'm trying to help. Hallucinations are one of the notable symptoms of PTSD and-"

"I don't have PTSD," Katie replied angrily before turning to grab her purse and stand to her feet. "Some fucked up shit happened to me, but I got out and I'm fine and having a baby with the man I love. I'm fine."