Broken Chains

"It takes strength to make your way through grief,
to grab hold of life and let it pull you forward."
-Patti Davis

It took Katie only a few moments after the attack and finding Felicity unconscious did she realize it was she who had the skills to help her.

"We should move her, right?" Oliver asked, glancing over to Katie before turning to Bruce who stood silently, eyes still on Felicity.

"No, I'm not sure where that bullet went." Katie says looking over the woman searching for the wound. "There doesn't seem to be a wound that I can see, which means she was shot in the back, and the bullet is still inside, causing internal bleeding." she glanced over to Oliver. "Call that ambulance again, she needs-" soon they heard the nearing sirens. "Good. you and Bruce need to clear the area, we're going to have to move her very carefully." she glanced back to Bruce who seemed frozen in his spot, his eyes still on Felicity's unmoving body. "Hey Wayne-" not a word came from the man and Katie moved in front of him, "Hey, look at me." despite everything Bruce was feeling, he turned to the woman. "I need you to stay here. I need Bruce right now, and Bruce needs to stay calm." the man shook his head slightly, his eyes going back to the woman lying on the seat.

Soon the paramedics arrived, able to extract Felicity from the car without too much movement to her body. Katie and Bruce rode along with the woman while Oliver hitched a ride with Quentin who arrived with the EMTs.

"Hey Smoaks." Katie says glancing over to the monitor, before looking back down to the woman. "I know you can hear me. I need you to stay with us, because it's really not your time to go, just-" there was a sudden long beep, and Katie's eyes went to the monitor. "Shit!"

"She's V FIB!" one of the ETM's called and Katie shot a glare his way.

"I can see that!" she snapped standing slightly and leaning down to Felicity's chest. "No breath sound, I need to intubate." she quickly pushed the EMT sitting at Felicity's head aside. "Give me a chest tube." she held out her hand, and when nothing was immediately placed she looked up.

"Ma'am, we can't let you-"

"Put the damn chest tube in my hand, before she dies!" Katie snapped angrily. Bruce lifted his head, and the paired glares from them seemed to push the EMTs into action. Once the tube was in Katie's hand, she carefully inserted it into Felicity's throat, attaching the bag valve mask. She glanced up to the EMT who still sat nervously and she just shook her head before pointing to the one at Felicity's side. "You squeeze." he simply nodded before grabbing the bag and squeezing, just as Katie plucked his flashlight from his pocket, and shined it in Felicity's eyes. "Pupils aren't responding." she turned back to the driver. "Why are we not at the fucking hospital?!"

Dr. Christian James was on his way home when the call came in. There weren't many details, but he knew a critical GSW victim was on the way in and that meant he wasn't going home any time soon. The moment the call ended, he assembled a team who were waiting at the entrance of the ER.

"Here we go!" he called the moment he spotted the ambulance heading their way. When it stopped he rushed over to the door, and the moment it opened he was surprised at the familiar faces inside. The shock only lasted about a second before he was back in the moment.

"Patient name Felicity Smoak-" Katie announced as they slid the gurney from the back on the van. "GSW to her upper posterior. I wasn't able to fully examine the wound, but it has to be near an artery, because the bleeding hasn't stopped." Katie turned to Bruce who still held onto the woman's hand as they rushed into the ER. "Bruce, I'm going to need you let her go." he looked up to Katie with a look that broke her heart. "Trust me, I got her." it was those words that gave Bruce the will power to let Felicity's hand go and watch as she's rushed away.