Chapter 2

"Ortiz? You're hispanic then? That'll explain your odd dress, if you're a foreigner." Darling frowns suddenly, "My apologies, that was quite rude, I spoke without thinking."

Orsino doesn't say anything.

"Well, where were you headed Mr. Ortiz? I assume you're traveling if you didn't have lodgings?"

"Arborton, uh, for school," mutters Orsino, trying to stick as close to the truth.

"Ah, Arborton, yes, a relatively new institution, but I hear its fine nonetheless. I myself studied in England, my parents insisted. I graduated only a year ago. But Arborton's quite nice, lovely rural campus, I'm sure. What do you study?" Orsino blinks, Darling speaks in a rush of words and seems to have a lot to say.

"Uhm, art."

Darling's lips quirk up, "The arts, wonderful field. I studied literature. Speaking of, are you named after the duke from Shakespeare's Twelfth Night?"

"Yes, actually." Orsino, can't help, but smile, it's his favorite play, and Orsino is his favorite character. What he wouldn't give to be a rich dandy pining to the sound of sweet music.

"I saw a production while in London, what fun it was! It's a beautiful name, too."

"Thanks, I picked it myself," Orsino can't resist the joke, he's never missed the opportunity make it, but regret stings him quickly. What will Darling assume from that answer?

"Ha, funny you should say that, I actually picked my name for myself as well!" All of a sudden, Darling's expression closes in on itself and he stops talking. He picked his name too. Could he... also be trans? That would explain the whole gilded age aristocrat thing he has going on, very on brand for a trans man. For the first time since he stepped out in the rain hope sprouts in his belly, but the abrupt silence makes Orsino's skin itch so he decides to bear the burden of conversation.

"Are you a Mennonite?"

"Me? No, no. There's no Mennonites in this area, they're all up north in Ontario, or over in Philadelphia, though I imagine for someone from abroad Michigan is not so far from either of those places." God, what is going on. The way this man rambles on as if he's so certain he's the normal one, it's making Orsino's brain hurt. He desperately wants to ask what year it is, but that would just make him feel even more out of touch. And Darling just keeps on talking through Orsino's confusion, "But I promise you Michigan is quite unique, we have delicious apple and cherry harvests, and four seasons, one of which, as you can see, is thunderstorms, which last all through spring into early summer, ha ha."

The man is silent after laughing at his own joke, leaving the rain to fill up the space with its patter against the carriage top, at least he has the dignity to look embarrassed. Orsino tries not to stare, but there's not much else to do. Darling seems to be struggling with it as well because his dark eyes are blank, but locked on Orsino's collar. Is he okay? He seems to be getting paler by the minute. Darling's hand comes up to his own chin fingers curled over his mouth, brows furrowed as he leans closer to Orsino.

His gaze is intense, and Orsino has to shift in his seat. He really does look like he's stepped right out of Pride and Prejudice. Or maybe the time periods wrong? Still his eyes are deep with something Orsino can't parse, and his rosy, full lips are lovely against the paleness of his face. Maybe Orsino is being pranked, but at least it's by the most aristocratically gorgeous man he's ever met. Orsino swallows and looks away as he catches up to the direction of his thoughts. "Is everything...alright, Mr. Darling?"

"I, ah, yes, apologies. Simply lost within my thoughts," he glances out the window. "Look at that, we're here! Time to get you dry and warmed up, Mr. Ortiz."