Chapter 7

The house, as it turned out, was a house by the shore in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Somewhat unfamiliar with the territory, having been to America only a handful of times for limited visits, Kosazana plugged in her phone and pulled up their location on a map, careful not to enter any exact addresses or streets out of paranoia. Standing in the kitchen, nibbling on an orange, Kosazana scrolled around and around on the map on her phone, idly noting that they were only a few blocks away from the ocean as she moved through the neighborhood. The day had dawned bright and warm, as was typical for this area, she was informed. They had not entered the truly hot season yet, as this area did have almost all four, but it would still be a lovely day.

Venturing out the sliding glass door onto the deck she had glimpsed when she came through in the daylight to grab breakfast, Kosazana found that the weather was just kind enough to allow her to be outside without a jacket. She had foregone her usual garb, compromised of looser, lighter clothing, in favor of a pair of jeans and boots and a t-shirt for this trip, figuring it was a bit more practical and durable. It was perfect, and she was able to sit comfortably on the deck basking in the sun.

First, though, before she settled, she wanted to look around more. Going down the stairs revealed that the house was actually built on stilts a full story up above the ground, featuring only a garage underneath. Kosazana supposed it was in case of flooding; Soren had informed her that this area could see intense storms, especially during hurricane season, when the massive rains would sweep up the coastline and clobber anything in their path. Something far more interesting was up the stairs, though: a spiral staircase that started at the ground level next to a lovely in-ground pool led up to the deck and then up again to a watchtower set another story higher. It was open and breezy and refreshing, and Kosazana easily settled in one of the two armchairs up there, setting a glass of tea down on the little table between them and cracking open a book she'd found in the house.

She had gotten several chapters into the crime-drama/mystery novel when she heard the sliding door open again down below. A quick glance wasn't enough to catch the person who exited, but Kosazana decided she wasn't curious enough to get up just yet. Anyone who was outside of the house coming in would have been audible on the stairs, so it had to have been someone inside the house exiting. And those inside the house were all trusted individuals. Returning to her book, Kosazana only looked up again when she heard the little gate underneath her staircase open, and heavy, but controlled footsteps echo up the metal stairs. They wouldn't be trying to kill her if they were being noisy, Kosazana reasoned, but gently set the book aside anyway, stood, and turned to face the gate at the top of the stairs.

Solvecde appeared there, looking far less stern and angry than he had yesterday, carrying a plate of fruit, nuts, and cheese with a mug of tea balanced in the center. Seeing her, he simply nodded once in greeting, let himself in, and asked, "May I sit with you?"

Kosazana stepped aside and toed the other chair in his direction. "Certainly," she affirmed, sliding her book and her own tea aside to give him a bit of extra room. Seating herself and delaying picking up the book again, as much as she wanted to find out just how Calvin had managed to rob the bank and why, she politely inquired, "how did you sleep?"

"Better than I have in years," Solvecde divulged, setting his plate down and then pulling the proffered chair in a bit closer before sitting. "The bed is soft, the house has some noise, my husband is with me...I want for nothing."

"It really is the simple pleasures," Kosazana smiled, and she could swear she almost saw the ghost of one on his face, too. "Is he still asleep?"

"He woke up briefly when I did. Told me he was happy I'd stayed, but that he could hear my stomach and I was excused." It was slight, but his voice was almost certainly lighter than it had been before. Kosazana thought that he might just be making a joke. Grabbing what she realized was a slice of a peach, Solvecde added, "I didn't think Isabelle typically kept food here, since she is here so rarely and she almost never plans a visit. I am curious if she did know we would need it soon and prepared, or if she arrived late last night and brought something. But she has everything she knows I like."