Chapter 1

"GENTLEMAN"

Ariel's POV:

Today is my interview and a very important one. I really need this job more than anything. I am 17 and i live with my mom. She designs and sews clothes for cheap prices and the money that she gets from it is not enough for us. It barely pays for the bills and food. Recently we moved here to another city to try to start a new life. I have to get a job here so i can complete my education and help my mom but i am very nervous because this is a huge company and i don't have the qualifications or the experience. I am just a high school girl. How did I apply for this job? Its because the owner of this company is my mom's high school friend and they met after ages a few days ago. When he found out about our situations he offered to help us so i asked him for a job at his company. He has already told me that finding a job for me at the company would be hard for him because i am still in high school but he'll try and do something for me. So here i am.

"Miss Calder. Mr. Mercado would like to see you." The woman behind the desk called. I immediately got up and dropped my phone in the process. That's how nervous i am. I picked it up and went towards his office door and knocked slowly.

"Come in." Mr. Mercado said and i entered his office.

"Good morning Mr. Mercado." I said and smiled. He motioned for me to sit.

"How are you Ariel? And how's Sarah?" He asked. Sarah is my mom by the way.

"Good. I am good. Mom's good too." I said politely.

"Okay good. Ariel! I'll get straight to the point. As I've told you before I can't offer you any job at the company at the moment because you are still so young and inexperienced. I have already told your mother that i can help you two without anything in return you don't have to do any job here." He said putting his hands on the table. I shifted in my seat uncomfortably.
"But knowing your mother she'll never accept anyone's help and i respect that." He leaned back in his chair.
"Considering everything, i do have a job in mind for you but its not at the office." He said and handed me a newspaper. I looked at the front page and it was a picture of a teenage boy looking drunk as hell and surrounded by half naked girls. He was just around my age. He pointed at him.
"This is Joey. My son. And it hurts me to say that he has gotten out of control and I can't handle him anymore. He just won't listen to me. Partying all the time while my rivals are delighted seeing him like this using all of this against me." He pointed to the news which said. "Christopher Mercado can handle everything you throw at him but just one thing is out of his control and that's his own son." I gulped as i read. What would be my job exactly!
"I have tried so many times to talk to him but he doesn't listen. I think he'll listen to someone his own age." My eyes went wide. Does he mean me? Wait what?!
"Ariel! You are such a good, smart and talented girl. I want him to learn a few things from you. I want you to help me make him a better man. I've seen your grades, your achievements. So impressive. I want him to be influenced by you and get away from all his useless friends. I'll pay you a very good salary, your school fees and all of your bills too. Just help Joey get out of this "phase" ." He rolled his eyes air quoting the word 'phase'.
"I don't want him to get in any trouble. I've tried talking to him so many times. I've tried getting him bodyguards and so many other things but he gets rid of them somehow and now I don't see any other way." He explained and i was still processing.

"What do i have to do exactly?" I thought i said that in my head but no it was loud. Oh.

"Just help him with school and make sure he stays out of trouble. You'll have to stay with him at all times. You'll have to join his school too." He said going through some files.

"I'll arrange everything for you." He said but i was still confused. I don't even know the guy how am I supposed to make him a better guy.

"Mr. Mercado! Are you sure this'll work?" I asked hesitant.

"I believe its worth a try." He smiled and i nodded. We discussed other things. He told me a few things about Joey. So basically i am like his personal assistant? Tutor? Guide? I have no idea. I am willing to give it a try. I need this job how many times have i said this by now?

I am very nervous why am I nervous? Maybe because i have no idea what Joey is going to be like. What if he is a very miserable person who ruins my life. Oh God! Think positive Ariel, be positive. I was about to leave and as i opened the door i bumped into someone. I looked up. I think this is Joey.

Wow

Wow. He's fine. Dang. I've seen him in the news here and there but in real. Wow. Just. Wow!!! I was so lost looking at him I didn't even know i was about to lose my balance and fall down. Obviously bumping into such strong muscular figure would make me fall to the ground. And i did. I fell down and he started laughing at me. What was i expecting? For him to catch me while we lock eyes and stare at each other? No fairytale stuff here. Clearly he's not that kinda guy. Which Mr. Mercado made really clear to me. He's very ill mannered. That's why he needs me.

"Ariel. Are you okay?" Mr. Mercado got up from his seat. Now that's what a gentleman does. And then i looked at Joey. Who wasn't even helping me up just standing there looking at me and grinning. I gritted my teeth.

"I am alright. Thank you." I said sarcastically looking at Joey. "Such a gentleman you are." I muttered giving him a forced smile. And at that moment I didn't realize how he was gonna change my whole life...