01

Jughead gathered up his stuff and glanced at his friend. "You want to come? Or do you want to keep hiding out here?"

"I'll tag along," Skylar replied.  "So long as you buy me a chocolate shake."

"That I can do."

The two made their way to Pop's Chock'lit Shoppe.

They got their milkshakes and set up their writing stuff.

As he typed, Jughead spoke. "Our story is about a town. A small town. And the people who live in the town. From a distance, it presents itself like so many other small towns all over the world. Safe. Decent. Innocent. Get closer though and you start seeing the shadows underneath. The name of our town is Riverdale."

Skylar nodded. "I like that. Mysterious and intriguing."

He smiled at her. "Thanks. What next?"

"How about the twins?"

"What about the twins?"

"What they did this summer."

"Good idea, Skye."

Jughead resumed typing and speaking. "And our story begins, I guess, with what the Blossom twins did this summer... On the fourth of July, just after dawn, Jason and Cheryl Blossom drove out to the Sweetwater River for an early morning boat-ride. The next thing we know happened for sure is that Dilton Doiley, who was leading Riverdale's Boy Scout Troop on a bird-watching expedition, came upon Cheryl by the river's edge."

---

Dilton and the Scouts stopped short. Cheryl huddled by the lapping water, knees tucked under her chin, arms around her legs, shivering because of the shock.

She turned to Dilton with tear-stained eyes. "...Ja... Jason..."

Eventually, a police boat moved along the river. Cheryl and her parents, Cliff and Penelope, were onboard. Cheryl was still in shock and her mascara was smudged.

The narrator continued speaking. "Riverdale Police, dragged Sweetwater River for Jason's body, but never found it."

Alice Cooper stood with her husband Hal on the riverbank and said, "If he is dead, how? I hope in the last moments he suffered. May Jason Blossom burn in Hell."

The teen continued. "So a week later, the Blossom family buried an empty casket, and Jason's death was ruled an accident. As the story that Cheryl told made the rounds. That Cheryl dropped a glove in the water, and Jason reached down to get it, and accidentally tipped the boat, and panicked, and drowned. As for us, we were still talking about the July Fourth tragedy on the last day of summer vacation. When a new mystery rolled into town.

PEMBROOKE APARTMENT

A town car pulled into the driveway. A woman and her daughter climbed out of the car.

"Now brace yourself, the apartment is small, a pied-à-tierre, but-"

"-"quality, always"-" the two females said.

"-plus, it was the only piece of property in my name and not your father's."

They walked towards the entrance.

The doorman approached the two females. "Ms. Hermione! Welcome home."

Hermione smiled. "Smithers! You're a sight for sore eyes."

"How was the ride?" Smithers asked.

"No traffic, thank God. Smithers, I'd like to introduce you to my daughter, Veronica."

Smithers smiled at the teen. "It's a pleasure, Miss."

"Hi," Veronica greeted.

"I'll get the bags," Smithers offered, picking them up. "And would you like some menus, ma'am, so you can order in?"