Chapter 12

"Why do you talk so funny?"

Charlie's P.O.V

"When is Luke coming?!" Alana yelled as she ran to the window & looked outside at our driveway. "Can Luke come now? I want him to come over."

"He'll be over soon, promise."

The twins were stoked to have Luke babysitting with me tonight. Austin liked Luke because he liked having another guy around & Alana just liked any attention & Luke gave it to her.

A bit later, Amy & Thomas left for their business dinner & not too long after, Luke arrived.

"Hi Luke." I kissed him as I let him in. Before I could even close the door, the twins ran into the entry way & each hugged one of Luke's legs.

"Yay! You're here!" Alana giggled. "You're late mister."

"Well I'm sorry. I was working." Luke laughed, shaking the kids from his legs & walking inside.

"Where do you work?" Austin asked him as he led him into the play room.

"I sing."

"You sing for a job!?" Alana was shocked. "That's so cool. Are you a rockstar?"

"I'm trying to be but I'm probably an epic fail."

"No you're not." I smiled at him. There was no way he was a failure with music."He's kind of like a rockstar, yea."

Austin & Luke played with his train set for awhile while Alana & I had a tea party on the other side of the room. 

"Luke?" Alana asked, leaving our tea party & joining the train station. She took a seat on his lap.

"Yes?"

"Why do you talk so funny?"

"Alana, that's not very nice." I told her.

"But it's true. He talks different."

"It's fine Charlie. Well, it's because I'm not from here."

"What do you mean? Are you on vacation?" Austin lost interest in his trains & he joined this conversation.

"It's like a vacation, yea. I'm from Australia, ever heard of it?" Both kids shook their heads no. "Well, it's very far away."

"Do you have to take a hair-plane to get there?" Austin asked. No matter how many times I corrected him, he insisted on calling it a hair-plane.

"Yep. Sometimes two hair-planes." Luke giggled. "It's that far away."

"Wow!" Austin opened his mouth in shock. "How long is your vacation?"

"It's a few weeks but I'll be back for another vacation a few weeks after that so I'll come visit again." He told the kids.

"What about Charlie?" Alana asked.

"What about her?"

"Is Charlie going to go to Aus- Aus-" She couldn't pronounce it so Luke just giggled & helped her out.

"Australia. & I hope someday but not right now. She's saying in L.A with you guys."

"Good." Alana sighed. "We need her here. She's our special sister."

The kids kind of understood that I wasn't technically their sister but there was still a part they didn't understand so the happy medium was calling me their special sister. 

When I first moved in with Amy & Thomas, the twins were barely two & there was one other foster kid living in the house but he was 18 & he moved out fairly quickly after I joined the family so the twins don't really remember him but they do remember growing up with me around. They were the closest I'd ever have to siblings.