XV.

chapter fifteen: liar

***

The voices get louder as I approach them. Again they are coming from under the spectator ranks and Charles is clearly one of them. What the heck is he doing there?

My brain continues wanting to find a rational reason for what Charles is doing there talking to some girl, what I can hear by now, but my heart tells me that there's something not right going on. I don't know if it actually is bad or not but if it contains cheating on Carly, which I'm sure it contains, then it is more then bad.

"Why don't you just break up with her?" I can hear the girl say and my whole body tightens. Are they talking about Carly? They have to. There's no one else Charles could break up with.

"I will," Charles answers the girl who I think is from his class, "I just don't want it to be out of nowhere." Well, this explains his behaviour he had shown the last few days. Apparently, he wants to go slow on Carly.

"It wouldn't be out of nowhere. You already seem like you don't love her anymore," Charles classmate says. Now I'm close enough to actually see them. Charles has his back turned towards me and the girl won't notice me because she only has eyes for him. Besides, I'm standing behind a tree and I'm sure that she won't see me.

"You don't know her...," Charles mumbles, "I want her to ask me if everything is okay and not just tell her." He's right. Carly doesn't like other people to tell her that something isn't right before she found it out herself, but honestly, she probably already noticed that something is wrong between them.

"Okay. It seems like you don't want to hurt her then?" Charles nods and the girl crosses her arms. "I give until this evening to decide what you want more: Me as your girlfriend or her to not get hurt." He mumbles something but it's too quiet for me to understand and she talks on in this volume. I still want to know what they are talking about so I slowly and carefully start walking towards them. There is a corner of the gym behind which I can hide but while I walk Charles suddenly turns around and we stare at each other.

I can see his lips form my name and straighten up. "Hi Charles," I say and the girl looks at me from behind him.

"Is this Carly?" she asks and starts to glare at me.

"No," Charles calms her and she stops to glare at me like she's about to rip my head off.

"But her best friend," I continue Charles sentence, "and I'm more than angry about what's going on here." My eyes narrow and if I looks could kill Charles would be dead this instant.

"It's not what it looks like," Charles starts but I raise my hand.

"But it's what it sounds like. I heard enough to know what's going on on."

"Auden, please, don't tell Carlz," he begs and makes a step towards me.

"Don't you dare call her that ever again!," I yell, "She never liked it anyway."

"She did," he tries to defend himself but I interrupt him.

"Liar! She didn't! I should know because I was the first to use the nickname!" He stares at me and I know that doesn't believe me, but I'm right. In fifth grade, I called her that once and she actually said she would rip my tongue out if I ever called her the name again. Then in seventh grade, I called her that again and she replied with the same thing.

His face showed how confused he was about the information. "Well, I guess I have to believe you on that," he mumbled and crossed his arms in front of his chest. 

"You don't have to guess on that," I shoot back and put my hands on my hips.

He winces slightly before he answers "You're right..."

"Now what do you actually want, Carly's friend?" the girl asks and makes one step towards me. She now looks at me like she had when she had assumed that I was Carly and I can see that she is very annoyed.

"I'm going to tell Carly about this," I tell her and reach my hand into my bag to get my phone out. Actually, I don't really want to tell her because she is my friend and I don't want to break her heart. This is Charles job at the moment. He should be the one to tell Carly about the situation.

"NO! NO!" Charles yells and jumps forward to grab my phone but I jank it away from him. 

"If you don't have the courage to tell her!" I shoot back. "You didn't manage to tell her till now and I know that this cheating has been going on for way longer than just two days or something like that!"

"I'll tell her, Auden. I promise! Please don't tell her," he begs and I think that he would like to fall to his knees. I'm actually really happy that he decided to do it because 

"Okay... But don't take too long..." I say and cross my arms in front of my chest. 

"I'll tell her as fast as I can," he promises.

"You better will!" I point out and put my phone in my bag again. For a moment I give him another deadly look before I turn around and walk away.

While I walk across the parking lot the thought of what I had seen right now is nibbling on my mind and it makes me feel uneasy. The whole time I'm walking I hope that Carly isn't done with principal Clearwater yet so I don't have to talk to her. It would break me to have to tell her what I had just seen. If I would see her before Charles would I couldn't keep myself from telling her so I would rather like to not see her at all.

Gif is Auden yelling at Charles

***

This one is quite short, I'm sorry but we got new school stuff to do so the chapters may get shorter. I hope you still enjoyed it and are loving the story as much as I do.

If you liked it I would be happy about votes and comments.

See you tomorrow on the other side of the rainbow

xoxo

Leo♥