Prologue

[PROLOGUE]

We had been investing a case of a bomber in Chicago who had been setting off bombs, he had killed 5 people

We had been investing a case of a bomber in Chicago who had been setting off bombs, he had killed 5 people. We had arrived at an abandoned warehouse where we believed he was currently hiding out. Myself and Emily had gone into the building while the others checked the other possible locations.

As we walked into the room weapons up high i noticed something odd mainly the smell, the room smell like some sort of gas similar to lighter fluid however we kept walking it was dark so the room was being lit up by a torch in my vest. When I heard it a beeping which made me stop and look at Emily before shouting "RUN" as loud as I could but we couldn't get far away enough from the blast radius so I pushed her as hard as I could before the bomb hit me causing my body to fly through the air before I hit the ground after that everything around me went dark.

EMILY POV
As I began to open my eyes my vision was blurred and there was a ringing in my ears as I looked around and saw Jace's unconscious body laid on the body covered in rubble I remembered the explosion I pulled myself up from the ground even though I felt an immense pain in my chest and legs pulling myself along until I reached him his whole body was covered leaving his head, neck and left arm poking through.

"Emily, Emily can you hear me" I heard through coms it took me a moment to respond "Hotch I'm here but the bomb went off, Jace is unconscious stuck under rubble I can't get him out" I said trying to hold back my tears I didn't often cry on cases but my friend and colleague was laid there and I couldn't help him. "We're coming in" I heard Hotch say as I was leant there against Jace I reached out for his hand and held it so he knew I was there.

After a few minutes Hotch arrived with the rest of the team "he knew we were coming" I said as I looked at Hotch who was in shock, Hotch wasn't close with a lot of his family, Jace and him were more than brothers but best friends also, that's why he was so worried when Jace joined the BAU he was worried he would end up hurt or worse and he was right. Hotch ran over trying to clear the rubble off him but it was too heavy even for him "Penelope were is fire department" Hotch said.

"There 5 minutes out" Penelope replied to him over coms "that's too late he's gonna be dead by then" Hotch said snapping at her, "I'm sorry Garcia but if he doesn't get help soon he's going to die" Hotch said with worry in his voice and tears forming in his eyes. Before the rest of the team ran over trying to find anything they could use to lift the huge rock that was covering his body "we don't have much time if we don't remove it soon he's going to go into crush syndrome" Hotch said running around until he found a large metal pole "ok on my count, one, two, three" Hotch said as the rest of the team began to press down on the pole trying to lift up the rock.

"Emily we need you" Hotch said before I stood up and helped them "ok, one, two, three" Hotch said as we all groaned using every bit of energy and strength we had to lift it up, "he's free Emily pull him out" Derek said as I ran over pulling him out as the rock hit the ground everyone rushed over "is he breathing" I said looking at Hotch with tears in my eyes "he's alive" Hotch said as the paramedics arrived "we're here" Rossi shouted at the top of his lungs.

As soon as the ambulance arrived at the hospital Jace was taken for tests before being taken to surgery, we all sat in the corridor waiting for Hotch to give us news any news as he walked in we all stood up "how is he?" I asked blaming myself because he pushed me out of the way to save me if he hadn't that could have been me.

"He's in surgery now, he's got a punctured lung, several broken ribs, a brain bleed, broken right arm, broken left leg and a he fractured his right leg" Hotch said closing his eyes for a short second trying to stop himself from crying "will he make it?" Penelope said as she wiped tears from her eyes "I don't know" Hotch said as tears started to fall from his eyes.