The Unfairness of it all

"So why on earth did you trash your office? Professor, that's completely immature and irresponsible" Minerva shook her head as she walked between broken glass and a chair he'd knocked over.
"Minerva, I know. This.. I just got so overwhelmed by the unfairness of it all." He couldn't even look at her, he was ashamed that he'd lost control in such a spectacular way, that was something he hadn't done in years.
"Unfairness of what?" she enquired, worried about her friend's state.
"Life, dearest. The loneliness I am confined to. The fact that I will never be able to call the love of my life my wife. She won't even know I love her. We will never have children or grow old together and that's breaking my heart which in return has been breaking all the glass around here." he said, very matter of factly.
She swallowed hard. She had loved him for a long time. She'd rather bite off her tongue than ever admit it, but hearing from him that there already was someone else was much harder than she'd expected.
"Well... Would it help you to tell me about her?"
She cleaned the room with a few flicks of her wand. She could still be close to him, she told herself, even though he'd never see more than an assistant or colleague or maybe, if she was lucky, a friend in her.
He nodded, apparently deep in thought and got up.
"Let's sit down, dearest." He gently lead her over to a group of armchairs by the fireplace. "Tea?"

* * * * * * * * * * *

She sat down across from him and summoned a kettle. She knew she didn't have to act like his assistant anymore. Minerva McGonagall was a teacher in her own right and a pretty good one too. But she also knew that he wouldn't cope without her and she enjoyed being at least a little irreplaceable.
He put some biscuits on the table and took a deep breath.
"She's incredible, you know? Everything a person could want in a partner. She's so witty. Probably smarter than me." A smile flickered across his face. Minerva nodded, while feeling like she was being stabbed.
"She sounds delightful." That was all she could say, not very enthusiastically but it did the job, he seemed to believe her.
"Oh she is, dearest. Wise beyond her years, funny, she is so passionate about everything she does"
Minerva listened while silently starting to resent that oh so perfect, witty, wise and passionate person. Gross. Who on earth could be like this? And yet, she was probably more deserving of him than Minerva would ever be. That woman truly sounded like his equal.
"And she's the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. Tall, beautiful hair and her eyes are nothing like anything I have seen before." She noticed that he was getting lost in his thoughts because he'd taken her hand while looking out of the window. She let him, despite her hand feeling like it was burning. She didn't quite know how to feel. On one side, she was incredibly jealous of that mystery woman. And in awe. Could someone really be that perfect? On the other hand she was heartbroken. And he kept on talking about her, not realising that every word hurt her. She just zoned out, nodding every now and then until he stopped and looked her in the eyes. He was still holding her hand. "You know, she's the only person I call "dearest.""
It took her a while. Then the penny dropped.
"Wait. But you call me..."
He grinned at her, sheepishly and almost embarrassed. "I do, dearest."
Her head started to spin and she got up way too fast, dropping his hand. She started feeling dizzy and had to sit back down again.
"I'm sorry." He said softly and his voice sounded sad. "This was completely inappropriate of me." She shook her head and took his hand in hers, lightly squeezing it. She couldn't say a word. Her mouth was dry, her thoughts were racing. She was that perfect mystery woman? Was he on drugs or something? What did he see in her that she couldn't see in herself, no matter how hard she tried. But she felt flattered and her heart jumped when she realised that he did in fact have feelings for her. She just squeezed his hand over and over again, smiling at him shyly. He seemed to understand as he lifted her hand to his lips and gently blew a kiss on it. She turned bright red and thought she'd faint, right in his office.
"Are you alright, dearest?" He asked after a while. She nodded again. "Yes. Just... overwhelmed I suppose." She looked at him. The look in his eyes was suddenly so soft. He kissed her hand again and smiled at her. "I'll walk you home, it's late."
"You'll have to walk me to Hogsmeade then. My rooms here in the castle aren't finished yet."
"At this time of night? It's snowing. I have a better idea. Why don't you stay in one of the guest apartments we have here?" "Wouldn't that be too much work for the house elves?"
He smiled indulgently "Always so considerate. But it's alright. Really." She nodded. "Then gladly."
"I'll still walk you there."
She rolled her eyes and then laughed. "Alright, Professor." And for one little moment, things really did seem perfect and life wasn't unfair at all.