1.5 Josh

September 4, 1946: After school

Josh rushed to the locker room, knowing he was going to have to run three extra laps for being late to football practice. The red and white football varsity jacket he was wearing flapped in the air as he sped through the corridors. When Josh approached the locker room, he quickly changed into his football uniform.

Although Josh was the captain of the Willesden football team, he knew Coach McGurdy was not going to cut him any slack. Plus, he knew no excuse would work with the stoic and tough coach. There was no point in Josh explaining that his girlfriend Olivia wouldn't let him leave her alone. She was going on about something that happened to her while she was in detention, but Josh could care less about her delusions. What Josh needed to focus on during the new school year was getting the football scholarship for Willesden college. If he didn't get it, his mothers would literally disown him.

Josh entered the gym and ran towards Coach McGurdy. The coach gave him a stern look and sighed. "Josh," she began, in a disappointed tone.

He nodded while panting, understanding her disappointment. "I know. I swear that will not happen again," Josh promised, genuinely sorry. However, he knew being sorry wouldn't cut it.

Coach McGurdy shook her head. "I need you to understand what it means to be captain of the senior football team. Discipline, respect, skill, and most importantly, being punctual," she lectured, crossing her buff arms and looking up at the five-foot and eight inches boy. "I understand you are in your junior year, but you must fulfill your duty because of your position. Do you hear me?"

Josh nodded his head, desperately sorry. "Yes ma'am."

"Good," she said, narrowing her cold eyes. "Now scram and run three laps. Then, begin the drills for the boys."

Josh nodded and ran out the door, following the last of his teammates out to the football field. He began running around the field, determined to be the star player of the year. He trained hard for the past two years for this. This year was his only chance to get that scholarship because by his senior year it would be time to apply for his post-secondary schools.

Josh didn't tell any of his friends about that, because they all thought he was rich enough to get into any school. That was a lie he made up when he started dating Olivia. Olivia was the wealthiest girl in school, and she only dates popular and rich boys. The lie benefited Josh in many ways. It increased his popularity, hid the fact that his goal was to get a scholarship, and gave him the chance to date Olivia and make his teammate Ronald jealous.

Josh sped past Ronald, and purposely slammed his shoulder against the boy. This caused Ronald to notice Josh. "Hey, Josh! What the hell was that for? It hurt," the dark-skinned boy said, his black cropped hair framing his hollow face.

Josh scoffed at him. "Go cry about it to your mommy, I couldn't care less," he shouted scornfully, looking over his shoulder for a second before returning his gaze at the finish line in front of him.

Ronald caught up to Josh's lengthy strides and panted while running alongside him. "Josh! Remember how great of a team we used to make?" he suddenly asked, bringing up a topic Josh didn't want to speak about.

"Why do you keep asking the same question, dogface?" Josh retorted, his pace accelerating.

Ronald groaned and ran faster, catching up to Josh once again. "What's wrong, man? Why do you keep on acting like we didn't play football together since middle school?"

Josh rolled his eyes and pumped his legs faster, desperate to get Ronald off his back. He was like a pesky wasp that was hard to get rid of. No matter how hard one tried to outrun it, one always heard it buzzing by their ear a second later. After a while, Josh could hear Ronald's heavy footsteps catching up to him again and he groaned before speeding around the track at a faster rate. Unfortunately, Ronald managed to catch up.