1.20 Yuta

September 12, 1946: Homeroom

They say a bad parent was traumatized as a child.

Yuta scoffed with disbelief every time he heard that quote. Wouldn't a traumatized child who grew up to be a parent themself, avoid engaging in the same acts that hurt them as a child? Wouldn't they realize that their parents were wrong for committing such atrocities to them and choose to treat their child how they wanted to be treated back then? The truth is, they wouldn't because they are a bad parent after all.

Yuta swore to himself that he would greet his future child with love and affection every morning before they left for school.

As Yuta walked into homeroom, the events of this morning wouldn't leave his mind. Although a smile was plastered on his face, his heart was numb. The fresh feeling of his head slamming against the hard table lingered, and he placed a bandage on his forehead to hide the bruise. The memory of his father gripping the ends of his black hair and the blueish tones that surrounded his vision occurred so often that the image looked the same to Yuta.

He recalled letting it get to him. Crying every night and wiping the tears in the morning. Allowing the abuse to seep into the crevices of his hollow heart, which caused him to say cruel words to Carter last week. Then, he reevaluated his actions. He told himself that he would not let the lack of fatherly love drain him anymore. For as long as he could remember, it fatigued him. Now, as he walked into the gray classroom of Room 110 with a content smile on his face, he sat in his seat next to his favourite people in the world.

They were his light in the darkness. They were his hope for the future. They were his family.

"Hi-de-ho, Carter!" Yuta giddily greeted as he plopped onto his seat. "I wanted to ask if we do not skip swim practice today? I'm enjoying the swim team and the fellas. They're so much fun!" he said, shifting his position so that he was facing Carter. "I know the after school meetings are urgent and have to take place straight after school sometimes but... I miss swimming with you," Yuta explained, biting his lip shyly.

Carter didn't respond. He gazed at the book on his desk and tried his best to avoid eye contact with Yuta.

Yuta raised his eyebrow but didn't question it. He assumed Carter was listening. "Oh!" he suddenly exclaimed. "I forgot that today is Wednesday, so there's no after school meeting. It's just the leadership club with Mr. Stevenson and it will only take up one hour after school so we have time for our other clubs." Yuta laughed at his forgetfulness and ruffled his black hair sheepishly.

Yuta recently began enjoying the school days. For eight hours, he was away from home. Plus an extra two hours of after school club activities, which consisted of swimming with Carter and investigating the paranormal mystery with his other friends. Anywhere was better than home, he came to realize at a young age.

Carter bounced his feet anxiously and continued ignoring Yuta.

Yuta twiddled his thumbs as he patiently waited for the white-haired boy to respond. Carter was usually quick to chat with Yuta during the classes they had together, especially during homeroom when there was a lot of free time. It was because of Carter's willingness to talk to Yuta that he was able to gradually open up to him. Carter's energy sucked Yuta in so much, that at times he forgot about the haunting day that was etched in his mind since he was a child.

For once in his life, he was able to tolerate his father in the mornings, because he knew that if he successfully passed him he would be able to go to school, where his real family was.

He peered at the unexpectedly silent Carter and furrowed his eyebrows, dumbfounded. "Carter? Is something wrong? Why aren't you talking to me?" he frantically asked with a worried expression.