Chapter 21

ARNAV sat at his desk, a glass of vodka tonic in his hand. Jenny had finally bid good bye that evening continuing on to her next destination. But her visit had left its mark.

His thoughts went back eight years ago when he had gone to America with dream and aspirations for a different life in a different world. He had the privilege of studying in one of the most prestigious universities in the United States, where he was simultaneously able to pursue his passion for outdoor adventure --- biking, hiking, white river rafting, canoeing and even bungee jumping. He remembered the hike she and a group of friends often took into the Middlesex Fells Forest Reservation, a little away from Boston. The 11 km path was mostly through woods but also travelled to the top of rocky view points towards the city and reservoirs below. He remembered the rush after reaching the destination that was difficult in some places.

How he had loved the freedom the country represented to him. He had never wanted to come back much to his parent's consternation. His thoughts went back to the argument he had had with his parents over this issue – just before their fatal accident. To this day he regretted every word he had spoken to them. But it was too late. Nothing would bring them back. Guilt had taken form in him driving all this actions since then.

After his parents' death, he had had taken an oath to revive his dad's name back to his former glory. And he had managed it in a fairly short span of time with pure grit and determination. But all this had taken a toll on him. Money had slowly become more important than relationships. It was a time like this that Lavanya had re-entered his life.

He was a in a dark place in his life where he had neither the time nor an inclination toward serious relationships. It was a huge mistake to have let her come to Raisar and stay in the haveli just because he had wanted to rebel against his grandmother. She had begun to have serious expectations after that and things had become more complicated, forcing him to offer marriage to her. Once again guilt had driven him.

Lavanya's deception had hit the final nail in the coffin. After her death, his trust in people had lowered beyond imagination. He had moved into an even darker place. The past four years had made him harder and more ruthless. He had begun to believe that everything came with a price tag and more often than not he had been proved right.

And this was when Khushi had entered his life......

Talking to Jenny had put everything in perspective. The last seven years had been a process of growing up for him.

When they had discussed India's economy he had automatically defended his country for the first time in his life. He had told her that India was growing and that he wanted to be a part of the building process. Be the change you want to see, he had said.

When he told her that beauty was in the eyes of the beholder, Jenny had commented that he was a different man now compared to the rebellious young man of twenty two. She had even appreciated him for feeling pride in his country and heritage which she could relate to herself having come from New England --- the forerunners of the great American Revolution.

And all this was thanks to Khushi. When she had told him how she had worked while putting herself through college so she could take care of her sister, he had realized that he was not the only one in the world who had to put his hopes and aspirations on the back burner for the sake of family.

She, in her sweet innocent way had shown him a different perspective – to take pride in his deeds. He remembered the words she had said a few days ago ----

Not everyone can be like you.....

You had the capacity to start a company from scratch after you lost everything. You revived the factory and took care of your entire family from a very young age. This is because of your hard work and keen sense of responsibility.