Chapter 22

AWAKENING as the soft light from the partly drawn curtains filtered across her face, Khushi found that the bed beside her was empty. Hot colour creeped up her neck when images of the previous night flashed before her eyes, then increased further when she remembered how Arnav had carried her into the bedroom. She had found herself entrapped yet again in a sensual spell as he touched with the sure artistry of a man confident of his prowess, until finally, surfeited with sensation and satisfaction, she had drifted into sleep, her dark hair pillowed on his broad chest.

Pulling herself to a sitting position, she found the bathroom door opening as Arnav re-entered the bedroom. To her surprise he was dressed in a silver-grey business suit, a dark blue tie knotted at the throat of a paler-hued shirt.

'Arnavji?' Still bemused by the dregs of sleep, she questioned his appearance as he approached her to sit on the bed.

'Arnavji?' He smirked. 'What happened to Arnav? You seemed comfortable using it last night.' As he saw the colour on her face he continued, 'I have to go to Delhi on business without delay. Akash had called me last night. He is having some trouble dealing with the modelling agency.' He shrugged.

'But for how long?' Carefully she masked the disappointment she felt as her eyes dwell on the bristles on his cheek, tough and sexy, bearing the slight scent of some after shave. Last night it had been slightly abrasive, a prickle of awareness reawakened as she recalled the touch of it against her breast.

'A day or two ... it depends on those frigging idiots.' He said brusquely.

Seeing the lines of tension creasing his forehead, Khushi refrained from broaching the subject of Shyam. It was not the right time to tell him something like this when he had more serious matters to worry about.

He bent down and placed his lips on the sore spot on the side of the neck and ran his tongue over it. When she winced he said huskily, 'You sure know how to get back.'

As her brows snapped together curiously, he walked to the door and turned back, 'A wild cat scratched me on my back last night. As Khushi stared at him with her mouth wide open, he gave her the most sexiest lop sided smile she had ever seen. 'Bye Khushi.'

Shyam left the woman sleeping on the bed and walked out quietly. But none of her talents had helped him in forgetting Khushi. She was becoming an obsession. It was driving him crazy that Khushi was not falling for his schemes. She seemed hell bent upon supporting that b!@#$% Arnav Singh Raizada. And there could be only one reason for that. She had fallen in love with him. But how could she do that? Arnav did not deserve it. He had hated him from the moment he had entered his life.

Trying to turn her against Arnav, he had told Khushi more than what she needed to know. Now, he would have to keep a close watch on her. Time to go back to Raisar.

Khushi sat in the car, lost in thought. 'What's that smile for Khushi?' asked Manav who was at the wheel. He and Khushi were on the way to the outskirts of Ranakpur to hand out essentials to the tribal women who lived in the area. Anjali still hadn't been able to get out of bed and had requested Khushi to go along as the tribal women were wary about interacting with men.

'It's nothing Dr Manav.' Khushi brushed off the question.

'Khushi, it's good that you came with me today,' began Manav, 'I have to ask you something. That day at Junagarh, when you tripped, you looked very frightened like someone was after you. And I think I saw .....Shyam. Did something happen?'

'Yes, it was Shyam.' She admitted with a nod.

Manav turned the vehicle and stopped it at a nearby dhaba. He took Khushi to a nearby table and ordered for tea. 'Now tell me Khushi.'