^moving

It's a couple weeks after the show ended, nothing was certain with Ricky and Nini they'd avoided having the relationship talk so far successfully. The new musical had yet to be announced, the only thing they knew for certain was that they'd be there on auditioning day together and then together for the months of hard work and happiness that was sure to ensue. They thought it was certain, they were relying on it being certain. Because if they couldn't rely on each other, what could they rely on? 

Ricky burst through the front door, humming a new melody as he skipped up to his room. He'd just come back from Nini's and he thought the smile on his face could never be wiped off. Key word: thought. He did a double take and reversed back into his living room, his mum was sitting there staring at him with awkward and sad smile, his dad was sitting on the same sofa but was staring persistently at his feet and didn't even glance Ricky's way. He noticed his dad's leg was bouncing and his hands were linked trying to push it down but yet still supporting his head. In confusion, Ricky removed his headphones and shrugged off his bag into the hallway and schlepped over to the sofa to join his parents.

"Ricky, honey..." his mother crooned, 

"This can't be good" Ricky sighed in reply, trying to catch his father's gaze but it was very much fixed onto the floor. 

"I'm sorry" His dad murmured, it was almost silent, his leg still shaking and a tear rolled down his face in shame, 

"Dad, what's happening?"

"Ricky..." His mum failed to interrupt, 

"No, I want to hear it from him." Ricky said not looking away from his father. 

"Your mother and I have agreed that you should move with her to Chicago. It's whats best for you"

"What" Ricky whispered in stunned silence, "How is that what's best for me?" He burst out in unpredictable rage, "how is taking me away from my friends, my school, my life whats best?"

"How is taking me away from Nini what's best?" He returned ot the stunned silence, 

I can't leave Nini

"I can't leave her Dad"

"I'm sorry Rick, it's just-" he sighed in defeat, 

"Just what? What's your excuse for abandoning me?" Tears were streaming down Ricky's red face at this point, 

"I don't know how to raise you, I was never as good as your mother, you deserve better than me. Your Mom, she can look after you, give you a better life and a family. I can't"

"But Dad, you are my family, I don't want to leave you and I never thought I'd say this but I don't want to leave Salt lake. Please dad, I can't live with her and that stupid boyfriend that she brought here and almost ruined everything for me and Nini. She ruins everything, she ruine dour family."

"Hey! I am your mother Ricky. I will not have you talking to me in this way." Lynne shouted, interrupting her son. "You are coming with me and that's that."

"Are you my mother? What kind of mother would do this to her child? You'll ruin my life. Please don't" He begged, with desperacy in his eyes. Lynne only shook her head in respone and looked away from him. Ricky turned to his dad but was met with the same avoidance. "Unbelievable"

He scooped up his belongings in a hurry and hopped onto his skateboard, he put in his headphones and turned up the music in order to hide the shouts of protest coming from his mother at the door. It was as if he was on autopilot, he lost himself in the music and before he knew it he was at Nini's front door. Disorientated, he stumbled up to the door and knocked shyly. He was met with Carol's shining eyes and warm smile, which slowly faded to a frown when she recognised the pain on his face.