Together

Beatrice
3000

I took a deep breath as I opened my eyes, running my hands down my face. "Geez, my fingers are so thin now..." I thought mindlessly before shooting up straight, confused— and realizing that for the first time in two years, I was actually seeing my fingers.

Immediately I ran out of my room and into my dad's room shaking him awake. "Daddy! Daddy!" I said still grasping onto his crisp white t-shirt as he sat up looking at me, like he was amazed. "Bee? Beatrice?! Oh my goodness, you've gotten even more beautiful darling! I can see you sweetheart. I can finally see you!"

I cried into the crook of his neck but ultimately, smiled through my tears. "I can see you too daddy. I missed you so much." He chuckled kissing my hair, "I missed you more sweetheart."

He got up to turn on the light to get a better look at me. I couldn't wait to finally see him either. But as soon as the light and ceiling fan shut on, our eyes drifted to messages all over the room that seemed to be written in blood. They said "Don't tell them you can see. Clean this up."

"Do you see it daddy?" I asked feeling fear run through my fifteen year old veins and he just nodded. "Hold on a sec, Bee. Don't move." He left the room and returned a few seconds later. He sat beside me, pulling me in and kissing my hair before whispering in my ear.

"It's all over your room too. Listen, we've gotta get out of here, but—" I jumped as the lights flickered and the television cut on out of no where catching both of our attentions.

"It seems as if, you didn't follow my instructions Daniel and uh... Beatrice. What a beautiful name. I gave you a chance to play the game, and you failed, without even trying."

"What game?! We didn't know anything about a game!" My father screamed at the television and the man in the black mask laughed. "Rules are rules."

"Just... give us another chance, please?! We won't tell anyone else we can see." My father pleaded. "I'm sorry Daniel. But you'll have to face the consequences of losing the game." He said sinisterly as if he found satisfaction in our failure to play his game.

"I'm sorry daddy, I didn't know! I'm so sorry!" I sobbed as my dad held me close.

"Ohhhh, it's alright Bee. Look at it this way, at least you got to see your dear old dad one last time before you die. Enjoy your last moments together." The TV clicked off as my dad stood up holding me close.

"I've got a place for us to go, we have to leave now, but you must do your part Bee. Do you understand?" I nodded vehemently looking up at him, "Okay."

"Alright there's gasoline in the garage I need you to cyphon it into the truck, start it and lock the doors. Don't unlock it until you see me, okay? I've gotta grab a few things. Go now, and hurry Bee." I nodded before hugging him and letting go but he held me by the arms for a second. "If I'm not down there in three minutes, get in the drivers seat and go, alright? There's a box in the glove compartment with directions to where we need to go, and how to get access."

I shook my head, "I can't leave you!" He cupped me face, "Bee if you have to, you have to." I shook my head again, "I won't!" I stood my ground and he kissed my forehead. "Go. We're wasting time."

I ran down the stairs and into the garage through the door in the kitchen turning on the light and immediately spotted the small canisters of gasoline my dad had told me about. I cyphoned it into the tank and then put the extras in the trunk before hopping into the passengers seat locking the doors and starting the car like he told me.

I looked at the clock to see that it was only 4:57 AM. If my dad wasn't here by 5 I just knew I wouldn't be leaving. I just got him back and if somehow he died in this house... I'd be dying in this house with him.

He came out at 4:59, opening the garage door and kissing my head as he slammed his door shut while putting his guns into the back seat. He looked behind him to back out and I watched his eyes widen, "Beatrice, duck!"

I screamed crouching into my seat as I heard what sounded like gunshots as my dad put his truck in reverse and started backing out uber fast. And then there was a thud. He started driving away. "Can I get up now?" I asked and he shook his head no, "Stay low for a while just in case." There were no more gunshots. But we drive for hours.

We left home or what used to be home at 5 and didn't end up where we were going until eleven. My dad checked his surroundings before getting out, grabbing a gun and hanging it on his shoulder before knocking on my window. "Stay in the car." He approached a black box that looked as if it could have been made out of steel and punched in a code on a pad that made the door slide open. "A steel garage?" I thought out loud before my dad ran back to the truck hopping in, starting it up and driving inside. He pressed a button on the dashboard that closed the door and I looked over at him as the lights cut on in what looked to be a plain old garage. "A garage daddy? What if they find us?"

"Bee, I've been planning and building this bunker since before you were born. When your mother told me she was pregnant with you and I got out the military. The only other person on earth who knew about this place is dead. No one will be able to find us here. Get out, let's go."

We got out and my dad grabbed the other two guns out of the backseat before going over to a light switch, flipping it up, and the box behind the switch opened. He put in a password and I heard something click. He moved an old desk out of the way and opened one of those things that looked like a man hole cover revealing a tunnel.

"After you Bee. Be careful on the way down the lights are gonna cut once you hop off the ladder." I climbed my way down to find myself in darkness until suddenly bright lights flashed on all around the room. I heard a bang and looked up to see that it was just my dad moving the desk back in place and closing the hatch.

"Make yourself at home. There's plenty of food and water, books, notebooks and pens and pencils."

I sat on the couch feeling quite uncomfortable as I watched my dad pace the floor.

This was over seven months ago. My dad had planned for a lot of things in securing our safety in this bunker of his. But what he must have forgotten in his planning, was his medication for his diabetes, high blood pressure, and his heart condition. He took a turn for the worse about two months in. But in his last days he made sure to teach me to be comfortable with a gun in my hands. My dad really didn't think he was gonna die. He just knew he had enough fight in him to protect me. But ultimately, he slipped away late one night just before I was due to bring him his dinner. So it's still me and him down here. Roughing it. Together.

Hey my loves, @iWriteThicklits here! For more expeditious updates, always remember to vote, comment and follow me. Your feedback is valuable and it is highly appreciated! ♥️