Picture Time

Edward woke to the sound of Alphonse and Andrea playing together. He yawned and shot them a dirty look. He normally could, quite effortlessly, sleep through their quiet -one sided- conversations, but today he was not as lucky.

"Thanks for waking me," He hissed. He climbed out of bed, letting his small feet hit the ground. "I'm hungry. Are Mom and Dad awake yet?"

"Yeah, Mom's making breakfast and Dad is getting dressed," Alphonse announced. "Mom said that someone is coming today."

"Who is it?"

Alphonse shook his head. "Don't know." He returned his attention back to the black-haired baby. She made a high pitched squeal and started giggling.

The door opened. "Is everything okay in here?" It was Dad. His black hair was slicked back, and he was dressed in nice, though still casual, clothing.

"Who's coming over, Dad?" Edward asked.

"A camera man. He's going to take a picture of the family today. You boys have to get dressed after breakfast." They wouldn't let a six and seven-year-old eat with their nice clothes that they would wear for the photo. That was just asking for an unexpected mess.

"Roy?" Mom's honey-sweet voice called to her husband. "Can you bring the children down for breakfast?"

Dad bent down scooping Andrea in his arms, leading Edward and Alphonse down the stairs to the table where deliciously intoxicating scents filled the air.

They were soon sitting together as a family, enjoying a nice warm meal of scrambled eggs and warm fluffy biscuits with jam. They all had a glass of milk, or orange juice for Edward.

Edward, with his mouth full of eggs, asked their Mother a question. "Mm, ...en's eh cama persn cmin?"

Trisha must have had magical powers to be able to decipher Edward's meaning. "Swallow before you talk, Ed. You might choke. And the photographer will come a little after breakfast."

Edward returned to his meal, digging in with enthusiasm.

~

Edward and Alphonse were watching the photographer as he set the camera up. Dad was holding Andrea as she sobbed while Mom searched for the pacifier.

Edward's noticed the red trinket on the table and ran to fetch it, bringing it back to his Mother with an enormous smile across his face.

"Oh, thank you, my little man," She said with a warm smile, stroking his cheek before giving the pacifier to Roy who gave it to Andrea. Andrea was almost instantly satisfied, which surprised Edward. It was amazing that she could so easily be swayed.

"Okay, we're ready," The photographer announced.

Edward and Alphonse came to their Mother's side as she beckoned them over. "Okay, you stand there, Al." She pointed to the patch of floor in front of Roy.

Alphonse moved so that he was standing there, looking up at his Mom as if asking if he was in the right place. She nodded to him with a smile as Roy placed a hand in his son's shoulder.

"And, Edward, stand here." She pointed to the floor in front of her. Edward moved to stand there, feeling pretty excited about the picture.

Roy moved his hand off of Alphonse's shoulder to pass baby Andrea to Trisha.

Trisha took the baby, all wrapped up in her yellow blanket, and smiled to her husband as he tucked a stray strand of her brown hair behind her ear. "You look beautiful today, Trish. Just like you do everyday."

Roy returned his hand to Alphonse's shoulder; Alphonse looking up at his father with a smile.

Edward and Alphonse placed their arms over the other's shoulder as Roy wrapped his left arm around Trisha's waist, his other still stationed on Alphonse's shoulder.

"We're ready," Roy informed.

"Okay, now think of something you love and smile!" The photographer beamed.

They all smiled brightly, with real happiness in their faces. Edward was thinking of how happy he was to have such a wonderful family. Everything could have been so different, but it wasn't.

This was perfect. Everyone was happy and, most importantly of all, together.